Pre-A small block

-

kipper

62 Lancer
Reaction score
I have a 62 Lancer with a slant 6. I'm wanting to drop in a small block. Not new to Mopars, but to Pre 66 A bodies. Will a 66 and up A body K-member fit pre's? I know of several 63 Dart GT's in yards around here, one that had a 273. I know all SB will fit the V8 K's, but will the pre-66 Dart and Lancer share the same chassis dimentions? Any help will be appreciated.

There are 3 k-members for the A-body. 63-66, 67-72, & 73-76. The latter two will not fit the 63-66 body.

To answer your question, a 67-76 K-frame will not fit. Don't know about the 63-66 K-frame.

There are two issues to consider if you're putting LA motor in a pre-A. 1. Will the K-member bolt in? (Remember to check steering column positioning and torsion bar sizing & separation, too.) 2. Is there room between the inner fenders for the LA V-8 to sit? My experience on 66 A-bodies is that the LA with stock exhaust manifolds is a tight fit. You may need a cut or administer a few love taps to the inner fenders to make it work.

The torsion bar cross-member underneath is "notched" only on the driver's side. If you want dual exhaust, be prepared for either a highly vulnerable passenger side pipe or some strange routing to get the pipe through the notch. This is the same problem with the 63-66 A-bodies, too.

The swap you're considering has been done. I don't know how much fabrication was done to make them work. Also don't know if Schumacher has a kit that would make things go easier. They may also know if the 63-66 K-frame will fit the earlier bodies. Good luck.

62-66 slant6 and SB V8 K members are the same. Just different motor mounts. To put a SB V8 in your 62 Lancer, you will need to remove the heater ducting. Early 273 exhaust manifolds make the job quite simple.

I have a 62 Lancer with a slant 6. I'm wanting to drop in a small block. Not new to Mopars, but to Pre 66 A bodies. Will a 66 and up A body K-member fit pre's? I know of several 63 Dart GT's in yards around here, one that had a 273. I know all SB will fit the V8 K's, but will the pre-66 Dart and Lancer share the same chassis dimentions? Any help will be appreciated.
I think that your original "K" member will work fine. As mentioned above, the heater duct work may cause interference. I believe that I have a custom V8 style drag link for your setup if you're interested.

As far as I know, the 59-62 cars had their own unique K-members and the 63-66 parts will not fit. This swap is not a bolt-in, but certainly possible. Should require no mere tan basic fabrication.

Wow, I'm a member of several motorcycle and Mopar sites. FABO rocks. Thanks all for the welcome and the advice. I'm not ready to do the swap yet, but am planning on it.
Gotta go to Mich. to pick up a 4 door donor car so I can get some front end parts. I should have some parts left over iffin any of ya'll might need them. These Lancers are rare as chicken lips. In the future I'll be going to the want adds to see if I might be able to steer anyone to some A bodie parts. Been to 30 or so SE Okie yards, and know of a few pre A Darts, a Signet (convert), and a few 66+ Darts. Some "B's" around, but other than that Okie land looks picked clean. Will try to put into the site more than I get out. Any of ya'll in SE Okie?

the k-frame is the same for the slant six and v-8 in early a-bodies. the 67-up k-frame will not fit the early A. 63 and down i think you have to watch the heater box when putting a v-8 into it.

Thanks, I've got some direction. Now all I need is time and $$$. Wife is getting me a 4 door donor car for Christmas. Ain't she a keeper?

62-66 slant6 and SB V8 K members are the same. Just different motor mounts. To put a SB V8 in your 62 Lancer, you will need to remove the heater ducting. Early 273 exhaust manifolds make the job quite simple.
Yep......actually 61 to 66 Valiant and 63 to 66 Dart K frames are the same all you need is V8 mounts which started in the A-bodies in 64 with the 273. I put a 318 in my 62 Valiant wagon without changing the slant 6 K-frame, you'll have to wrangle a pair of early mounts. I used Spitfire headers on mine, good fit-a fuzz tight on the steering box though, and as stated the heater core box will have to be removed.

-
Back