Prebuilt portable garage shed?

-

mod38-1

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a prebuilt portable garage shed that would be 12x28. I would be buying it store my duster in it over the winter along with some other stuff. Does anyone here use one for car storage and if so how is the wood floor holding up? The specs on the floor would be 2x6 floor joists 12 inch on center with 3/4 subfloor for the flooring.

IMG_8102.png

i have two 14x24 garages. got them in 2020 i believe. i painted the floora before i put the cars in there.. floor has been fine so far..

IMG_20200719_154235.jpg

IMG_20191126_152945.jpg

I would think floor joist size and spacing would determine if the floor would sag over time where the tires end up when parked.

with them on 12 inch centers with 3/4 subfloor for the flooring. should be fine. i hack the car up on them and put the car on stands and the floor doesn't move. can also get some extra plywood if you want to put under the jack or stands ands spread the load some.

You could also add a 4x4 on each side on block shimmed up to the joists instead of just the skids. Drainage and slope around the perimeter, painters plastic barrier and set high enough for airflow underneath can help reduce mold and rot so it will last longer.

IMG_6704.jpeg

We have two of them. The one on the left is a 10 x 36 and stores both the GTS and the 28 Model A hot rod. The one on the right, 12 x 24, stores everything else, lawn tractor, snowblower, all the year furniture, motorcycles etc.

Nothing in the main garage except project work at the time. The right side shed is about 20 years old at this point in time, needs some new shingles but the floor is great.
IMG_3070.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies so far. I will also have the people come in and put down the gravel base and level it properly so hopefully that will help it be as sturdy as possible.

Around here it is just standard for them to block it. It is a extra charge to have gravel brought in and leveled but I think it is worth it as it will only be as good as the base that it is on.

Thanks for posting this. I have been looking at these for a while. Where you guys are do tax rates change with these buildings..?? Anything in my area I over 12x12 or 144 sq ft end up a taxable structure. Thanks Swingn’..

Thanks for posting this. I have been looking at these for a while. Where you guys are do tax rates change with these buildings..?? Anything in my area I over 12x12 or 144 sq ft end up a taxable structure. Thanks Swingn’..
Believe it or not but in my town there is no property tax on either of our sheds, 12x24 and 10x36.

I think the reason was because they are prebuilt “sheds” and can be moved out. No real reason given and I’m happy with no additional taxes.

Check with town hall and see if there are limits on the shed sizes.

Cliff Ramsdell

No tax here either, as long as they are not on a foundation.

Thanks for the info. Will check my local TH for requirements. I know my luck though, they don’t call it taxachusetts for nothing…!!! Swingn’

Gotta add my 2 cents. A friend did one to park his Corvette for the winter in Pennsylvania.
Thought no way that wood floor would hold up. 20 years now.

Thanks for the replies so far. I will also have the people come in and put down the gravel base and level it properly so hopefully that will help it be as sturdy as possible.
Put a vapor barrier UNDER anything you get! Heavy plastic........and then gravel around the drip line of the shed to keep the water from splashing up!

Last edited:
Believe it or not but in my town there is no property tax on either of our sheds, 12x24 and 10x36.

I think the reason was because they are prebuilt “sheds” and can be moved out. No real reason given and I’m happy with no additional taxes.

Check with town hall and see if there are limits on the shed sizes.

Cliff Ramsdell
Most places, if it's not a permanent structure, it's not taxed.

If you want to save $, I did this one on the cheap: paid to have a pad poured, then bought the steel bldg- installed and paid extra for them to run the tin down both sides. I enclosed the ends myself using the same roofing tin. Not a carpenter but it worked- including an 8' car door plus a small entrance door. Ask if you want details and tips...

IMG_3093.jpg

IMG_3036.jpg

IMG_3078.jpg

IMG_3091.jpg

same here in nj. they are not permanent structures so not being taxed.
I think in NJ it depends on the "local" codes. When I lived up there, if 100 sq/ft no floor/foundation required and not taxed. If over 100 sq/ft floor required, and taxed. Plus permit required. The county where I live in Florida, now requires a permit for any prebuilt shed/garage, regardless of size. Same for a metal carport. My original metal carport (approx 20x20) is "grandfathered in" with no permit with a dirt floor. If it had a concrete or asphalt floor, it would have needed a permit. Carports and "sheds" need to meet wind codes
I suggest you check your "local" codes.

Thanks again for all the replies on this. Yes I do need a building permit and it has been approved. I am not sure if a shed would be taxed or not but probably in my town. In the long run a garage with a poured pad would probably be better but for timing now the shed is a better fit for me. The shed that I am looking at is 14x28 and might as well be a garage other than a wood floor vs concrete.

IMG_8264.jpeg

IMG_8250.jpeg

IMG_8249.jpeg

That's sharp! Ballpark price?
Thanks again for all the replies on this. Yes I do need a building permit and it has been approved. I am not sure if a shed would be taxed or not but probably in my town. In the long run a garage with a poured pad would probably be better but for timing now the shed is a better fit for me. The shed that I am looking at is 14x28 and might as well be a garage other than a wood floor vs concrete.

View attachment 1716294536

View attachment 1716294537

View attachment 1716294538

I built a 12x24 storage building a couple years ago, for the grand total of $2600
I dug 2' deep pillars about 2 x 2' made footers and added re-bar. Hand mixed bag cement and poured them all level with each other.
On top of the pillars, added treated 6x6" lumber, covered the 6x6's with black plastic for a vapor barrier, then decked it with 2x12" treated lumber.
Basically like building a super strong deck on a house.
Took me about a week, after work to do this, even had my 10 year old kid running the nail gun.
I then bought a u-assemble it kit from Sheds-for-Less for $1800, me and my buddy had it done in a weekend to put the building itself together.
It would have went faster but we went down to the local bar n grill for lunch on Saturday and no work got done the rest of the first day.
This was pre-covid prices.

I built a 12x24 storage building a couple years ago, for the grand total of $2600
I dug 2' deep pillars about 2 x 2' made footers and added re-bar. Hand mixed bag cement and poured them all level with each other.
On top of the pillars, added treated 6x6" lumber, covered the 6x6's with black plastic for a vapor barrier, then decked it with 2x12" treated lumber.
Basically like building a super strong deck on a house.
Took me about a week, after work to do this, even had my 10 year old kid running the nail gun.
I then bought a u-assemble it kit from Sheds-for-Less for $1800, me and my buddy had it done in a weekend to put the building itself together.
It would have went faster but we went down to the local bar n grill for lunch on Saturday and no work got done the rest of the first day.
This was pre-covid prices.
I just looked at the sheds for less website and prices have gone up a lot from what you posted (I am sure due to prices now vs pre-covid). A 12x24 garage is listed at 8,599 and that does not include the garage door, shingles and roof trim or paint.

-
Back