Press the Brake the Parking Lights come on.

-

Chep

Reaction score
I am working on my 73 dart sport 340 with a painless performance kit. I will start off by saying everything light wise works on the dart. Turn signals, headlights (hi and low), reverse lights, everything. I read that sometimes the bulbs will need to be replaced, I did that.

I am lost right now of what else to do. The turn signal switch worked before I installed the wire kit. For those wondering the brake lights and turn signals at the rear are the same bulb. Any suggestions?

You sure you have the hazard switch off?

And that it's wired correctly?

Yes and yes. I actually pulled the wires out and tested everything, blew a fuse or two in the process but it is definitely hooked up right.

Are your brake lights on when headlights are on? The socket has 2 wires 1 lights the brighter filament(brakes) other is lower (taillights) could be reversed

Nope. The brake lights are the brightest filament and the tail lights the dimmer. Also if I take the bulbs out of the rear the park lights still come on when brake is applied.

It almost has to be either a wiring screw up or a bad TS switch. All I can suggest is double check your TS lamp wiring colors against how it's wired now.

I will pull the steering wheel and check tomorrow. I just find it weird the only thing that is messed up is the parking lights come on with the brake.

It could be. You see the hazard switch complicates the TS switch, and sometimes they sort of fall apart internally. Basically the hazard switch interconnects all four TS wires, front rear, left, right and also hooks them to the hazard flasher output

Here's one thing you might do..........Pull loose the TS connector at the column look up the colors for the 4 TS lamp wires, and check continuity at the switch side of the connector. . ONLY the two rear TS wires should show continuity with each other. with the switch centered. If you get continuity from those two to the two in front............it's the switch

I would not wiggle it too much in trying to test. You could "clear" the fault, and then not be sure what to look for.

He said he changed bulbs, but it's worth a shot to REcheck

As I'm fond of saying, "new does not mean functional"

I removed all bulbs last night and still got 11 volts at the park lights when the brake was applied. I wish it was a bulb issue. I have to run into town today to get a different steering wheel puller. I installed the grant steering wheel and it doesn't fit my bolts for the puller.

I had a similar problem like this forty some years ago, it turned out to be a blown fuse and it was some how allowing current to go where it shouldn't. Just check all fuses its free.

Your parking lights should have their own circuit off of the headlight switch going directly to the parking/tail lamp filaments , Black wire originally according to a 73 Dart wiring diagram I looked at.
The black wire gets power from headlight switch and runs directly to the rear it remains Black and front parking switches to a black/yellow wire .
If your getting power from the brake switch something is wired up wrong or its getting a back feed somehow.
I would double check your wiring, if it worked fine before it was re-wired.

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1973/73DartB.jpg

http://www.mymopar.com/downloads/1973/73DartA.jpg

I am using a Ron Francis wiring harness and it comes with a new headlight switch and pre-wired connector . The front and rear parking lights have a long pre-wired leads to run directly to the front and rear of the car. They don't have anything to do with turn /hazard switch.

I misunderstood, re--read

You say t's the PARKING and not front signal that are lighting. This almost has to be a wiring cross, perhaps right inside a socket, or a bad bulb.

Thanks for all the help everyone. After about three hours with a multimeter I found where the short was, two wires were ever so slightly crossed. That being said I think I can now draw a TS diagram from memory.

Thanks for all the help everyone. After about three hours with a multimeter I found where the short was, two wires were ever so slightly crossed. That being said I think I can now draw a TS diagram from memory.

Always a "feeling" when you find "that trouble"

-
Back