pressure in gas tank need help.

-

Smokedya

Reaction score
I was driving home from work and as I was getting close to home my car just died and then started back up about a second or two later. So I pulled over and I could hear something venting and my dart was running horrible missing shaking. So as I walked around I noticed the sound was coming from the gas tank I waited a few seconds and took the cap off it shot off and I could barely react fast enough to grab it. Has anyone ever encountered this before? If you need more info ask away. I'm just trying to get home. Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, I don't know what year you have but Mopar didn't used a vented caps. The early cars had a vent tube off the filler neck to prevent pressure build up. In the later years, somewhere around 71-72 they used a charcoal canister to vent pressure off. Hope this helps you narrow down your problem. You have the wrong year filler neck, plugged off vent to the tank or?

Yeah its 73. I do have a charcoal canister and I will have to check it out. If anything I'll unplug the hose so k can get home.

I would bet that someone has plugged the return vapor line that is running back to the tank up front by the canister.

If you don't have a lot of gas in your tank you can just remove the cap till you get home.

My 73 Challenger uses a vapor separator in front of the gas tank. It has a check ball in the outlet line that lets air into and out of the tank depending on the situation. I assume A-bodies have to have a similar setup. If you have a vapor separator of some sort, the check ball is probably stuck and you aren't able to vent the tank. You could just add a vented cap but then you're just releasing the vapors into the air. The correct way to fix it is to find the blockage and repair it.

This is what is so great about this site...someone has a problem that baffles them....logs on and asks....and there is all kinds of folks offering up sound advice to deal with it....

73's dont have the checkball venting system, but only a 1/8 (I think) steel vent line that runs to the charcoal canister on the front passenger side.
That line is probably filled with rust particles or pinched somewhere along it.

It comes off the canister and runs along the frame rail, so it can be checked by connecting a section of tubing to it a blow through it.

Since you live in AZ, and if you intend to drive it in the summer you might want to do a search on here for "Return fuel mods" and go that route. (since you might be working with the fuel line system anyway)
It will save you a lot of hot fuel headaches this summer.

Yeah trail I already had that problem. I drove it home with the gas cap off and it ran a lot better. I guess its time to hunt down what the problem is. Thanks so much for the answers guys!

-
Back