Pressure treated lumber

-

inkjunkie

Reaction score
I know you should not burn it.....why?? Seem to remember the older stuff had arsenic in it (?). When I redid my folks deck decades ago the pressure treated lumber I used was greenish in color, safe to assume it is completely different than the brownish stuff loaded with dimples that is sold today? Just wondering about the burning. I have a bunch of it that was used for posts for a power panel and assorted other things that I need to get rid of.

PT wood used to contain arsenic. If you burned it, the arsenic would be released into the environment. In theory, if the arsenic build up is high enough, it could be absorbed by plants and get into the food chain.

New PT wood does not contain arsenic.

Burning ANY chemical is generally bad, as combustion (in general) turns chemicals into "worse" than whatever they are.

I used to work on HVAC, and places like laundries, print shops, body shops, beauty parlors, and even indeed restaurants have materials that cause damage to AC evaporators, furnace heat exhangers, and so on. I worked on appliances "towards the end" of the era of ambient combustion air--most combustion burning stuff nowadays takes in combustion air from out doors---but this still does not help evaporators.

Even uncovered foods in refer units will eat evaporators after awhile. I'm speaking here of commercial restaurants, which might have large amounts of salad type materials---fruits, tomatoes, lemons, etc.

A great example is freon based refrigerants leaking, which is the "same" as some chemicals that are or used to be in brake clean, electromotive and other cleaning chemicals--and running these through combustion results in deadly poisonous phosgene gas---the stuff that Hitler used.

There have been threads about people using some of these chemicals around cutting torches, etc.

No kind of treated woods, painted, stained, or plywood or pressure treated, should be burned.

Burning ANY chemical is generally bad, as combustion (in general) turns chemicals into "worse" than whatever they are.

I used to work on HVAC, and places like laundries, print shops, body shops, beauty parlors, and even indeed restaurants have materials that cause damage to AC evaporators, furnace heat exhangers, and so on. I worked on appliances "towards the end" of the era of ambient combustion air--most combustion burning stuff nowadays takes in combustion air from out doors---but this still does not help evaporators.

Even uncovered foods in refer units will eat evaporators after awhile. I'm speaking here of commercial restaurants, which might have large amounts of salad type materials---fruits, tomatoes, lemons, etc.

A great example is freon based refrigerants leaking, which is the "same" as some chemicals that are or used to be in brake clean, electromotive and other cleaning chemicals--and running these through combustion results in deadly poisonous phosgene gas---the stuff that Hitler used.

There have been threads about people using some of these chemicals around cutting torches, etc.

No kind of treated woods, painted, stained, or plywood or pressure treated, should be burned.

This would explain why the Waste to Energy plant by the airport will not accept construction waste as anything dropped off gets burned. There is the landfill not to far from Brooks Rd. that is for construction waste.

Thanks for the info.....

-
Back