Pressure Washer Blues

-

Bodyperson

Pedal to the metal
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a new pump for my pressure washer. It has a Honda engine. I have it on a bench. Pump looks correct but isn’t bolting up correctly. I tipped the engine and chassis a bit to get a look at what Is going on while failing to process that the bolts that hold the pump on also retain the engine. YUP, bounced the engine off of the concrete floor. Dumb ***.
Checked the engine over and I see no damage. Dodged a bullet there. Diagnosed the fitment issue as the manifolds for the hoses are 180 off. No biggy, I can live with that. I actually like it better that way. Time for a test run. No compression. Further diagnosis finds a perfectly symmetrical dent in the OHV valve cover and a busted cam gear. It’s belt driven and made from plastic.
New cam gear is 10 bucks. Should be here on Wednesday. Crazy easy to change. That Honda guy is a smart dude.

I have a new pump for my pressure washer. It has a Honda engine. I have it on a bench. Pump looks correct but isn’t bolting up correctly. I tipped the engine and chassis a bit to get a look at what Is going on while failing to process that the bolts that hold the pump on also retain the engine. YUP, bounced the engine off of the concrete floor. Dumb ***.
Checked the engine over and I see no damage. Dodged a bullet there. Diagnosed the fitment issue as the manifolds for the hoses are 180 off. No biggy, I can live with that. I actually like it better that way. Time for a test run. No compression. Further diagnosis finds a perfectly symmetrical dent in the OHV valve cover and a busted cam gear. It’s belt driven and made from plastic.
New cam gear is 10 bucks. Should be here on Wednesday. Crazy easy to change. That Honda guy is a smart dude.
Hopefully it didn't bend a valve.

Hopefully it didn't bend a valve.
Right, I did hear some crazy noises on the first pull we’ll see I guess. Both valves where closed when I got to it. I’m still trying to process how one cam lobe can control both valves.

It seems to have good compression now with both valves closed so I think I’m okay.

I think I did the same thing to my "non" Honda but it was on the ground, so nothing hurt. But I STILL don't have the pump fixed or replaced. And, I'm still pissed. I carefully drained that EVERY time I used it. I bet it has less than a grand total of 5 hours total run time, IF THAT

I had one with a Briggs engine & the oil dipstick tube came loose at the engine base. Son used it on the deck & all the engine oil splashed out. Bummer.

The good news is I found one on the clearance rack at Lowes for $100 that was missing the hose & sprayer & a pump hose fitting. I swapped all the stuff from my old one & I am back in business.

I had one with a Briggs engine & the oil dipstick tube came loose at the engine base. Son used it on the deck & all the engine oil splashed out. Bummer.

The good news is I found one on the clearance rack at Lowes for $100 that was missing the hose & sprayer & a pump hose fitting. I swapped all the stuff from my old one & I am back in business.
Bet that left a mark. Spilled some fat on my deck. Can’t get it off. ESPECIALLY WITH NO PRESSURE WASHER :BangHead:

-
Back