Pretending to be a furnace repairman today

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I put this job off for probably 10-12 weeks this summer but now that it’s getting in the 40’s I’m going to need some heat. Late June early July my air conditioner (inside blower motor) started making a racket during a 90 degree stretch. I checked out the simple thinks and with the power off and the filter out I could feel lots of play in the blower cage. I could run it for awhile to cool the place off a degree or two and pull some humidity out but the heat safety switch on the blower assembly would shut it down. So I started tearing it apart then stopped for two months. Well today I ripped into it and yanked the assembly out and the blower cage is spinning on the hub. What a racket. I think the motor may be good but I’m going to meter check it and get some parts ordered. Man I hate some of these jobs.

FC8256CC-DC5E-4643-91D3-0E7DA99E92B7.jpeg

FF711603-11D3-466B-BB32-38C8ECE994C8.jpeg

3B349A32-245F-4578-A026-E4A156A8ABBC.jpeg

107B9413-4555-47B9-95DC-D460D79511C3.jpeg

11B87CDC-A8C8-4035-BC75-2F6DFC028A2B.jpeg

Good luck, I don't want you to freeze to death this winter.
We have to get you out making some money next racing season. :D

Our furnace last year started making a racket. Called repairman as it's under a maintenance "plan".
The racket was from the cage being full of dust, and unbalanced

Parts came today and after I loaded up the motorhome and the race car I fixed my furnace. Grand total 75.00 to fix it. I have air conditioning and heat again.

That does not sound too bad. I used to take an awl and punch a small hole in the what would be "upper" part of the motor bushing shields so I could oil them. Used to use a "zoom" style oiler bottle with about 10 or 20W motor oil

Parts came today and after I loaded up the motorhome and the race car I fixed my furnace. Grand total 75.00 to fix it. I have air conditioning and heat again.
Well that's good, John. I was kinda worried what you were gonna do when it got cold. Cause cold up there don't eff around.

That does not sound too bad. I used to take an awl and punch a small hole in the what would be "upper" part of the motor bushing shields so I could oil them. Used to use a "zoom" style oiler bottle with about 10 or 20W motor oil

It was actually the blower assembly that went bad. The hub was spinning inside the fan and making one heck of a racket. Then it would overheat and shut everything down.

AND AN ANNOYING story from the old days. Details are fading but it went something like this. Some folks with young child/ children went out, hired a baby sitter. "Somehow" the toilet overflowed, and the furnace ducting was such that the water on the floor flowed right down through the plenum through a register run and into the blower which turned out to be "surprisingly" water tight. The blower cavity filled up the bottom area, and of course these motors were never built to pump water!!!

Evidently the motor protector was not terribly sensitive, and the motor got hot enough to make smoke and enough to trip the fire alarms

Somehow I got called--this was 9PM or so, and by the time I got there the fire dept was there as well, and soon after that the folks came home.

THEY WERE PISSED

We had a hell of a time with this deal because turns out the parents were renting, the baby sitter had evidently called us and the fire dept and the parents did not want to pay and the landlord SURE as hell was not gonna pay.

Frankly I don't remember how this all worked out

AND AN ANNOYING story from the old days. Details are fading but it went something like this. Some folks with young child/ children went out, hired a baby sitter. "Somehow" the toilet overflowed, and the furnace ducting was such that the water on the floor flowed right down through the plenum through a register run and into the blower which turned out to be "surprisingly" water tight. The blower cavity filled up the bottom area, and of course these motors were never built to pump water!!!

Evidently the motor protector was not terribly sensitive, and the motor got hot enough to make smoke and enough to trip the fire alarms

Somehow I got called--this was 9PM or so, and by the time I got there the fire dept was there as well, and soon after that the folks came home.

THEY WERE PISSED

We had a hell of a time with this deal because turns out the parents were renting, the baby sitter had evidently called us and the fire dept and the parents did not want to pay and the landlord SURE as hell was not gonna pay.

Frankly I don't remember how this all worked out

Man that stinks.

We were still about +15F above normal, banging on the 80F door yesterday, some cooler today, and by mid next week high 60's. Still staying dry, though. This time of year here, you never know, NEVER know!!

better to be playing a furnace repairman
then paying a furnace repairman who is pretending to be one

-
Back