price to narrow a B body 8 1/4 rear

-

Louie70Dart

Southern IL. Complete opposite of k-town
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I saw this deal, I thought, on a 8 1/4 rear from a 71 b body. It won't fit an a body w/o some narrowing. Place I called here where I live said cost would be around $1000. LOL, for that price I can get a 8 3/4. Does 1 grand sound about right? Thanks.

That is insane if you ask me. Does it come with new axles? Even then it's way too much if you ask me. I have done a few and would charge about 1/4 of that price.

One grand seemed a bit ridiculous to me also. I mean, it all has to be square and parallel, but that seemed to much. And yeah, that would include adding splines to the axles. Thanks.

I do that sort of work in my shop. The cost If you determine how much you want removed from each side and the housing is clean... really clean. is $150.00 the cost to disassemble, clean and establish width/pinion center-line is extra. axles vary in cost and you can get them as easy as I can from Dutchman, (my first choice) Strange Engineering or Mossier but because of some really bad experiences with Mossier I'd stay way away from them.
I hope this helps

drdan

I don't think that is cost efficient. The axles are C clip axles so you would have to find or buy the correct length axles or have axles made and use a C clip eliminator kit. Do they even make them for an 8 1/4? I don't know. Narrowing the housing isn't the big deal, it's the axles and stuff to go with it. And then you still have an 8 1/4 rear that isn't all that strong.

Now if you could find an 8 1/4 A body rear then that wouldn't be too bad if the price was right.

wow , have 8 1/4s reached 8 3/4 status? i just talked to a guy today that has two of them for 150 a piece complete

To bad you're not closer to Vegas, I have a 76 Duster I'm taking apart and would let you have the rear for $100....maybe less if you brought lunch :D

Aren't 8 1/4 a body rears pretty easy to find at a decent price? If not 8.8 Explorer rears are probably an option to look at if you don't mind relocating spring perches. I am looking at getting one for my YJ Jeep and they are a couple hundred bucks.

I found this one complete from drum to drum for $200. I found a place in Il that will narrow it for $175 total. That is if they get it all tore down and cleaned. Might have to get new axles, that is if there is not enough spline left after cutting. Thanks for the replies.

What car are you putting it in. I put an early B body 8 3/4 in my Dart Sport and didn't narrow it. I just moved the spring perches in 1/2" on each side and bolted it in.

The 71 B rear you have may be too wide for that though.

It is, why I need to narrow something like four inches total. Two each side. Cheaper it seems for now, hopefully upgrade to 8 3/4 later.

I think mine was 1 3/4" each end, it works. If it ends up a smidge too long you could get wheels with a deeper backspace. I'm running factory Rallyes on mine.

It's the one in my sig pic.

VVV

-
Back