Price to Swap a Third Member?

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Guys........what do you suppose would be an average price for a shop to swap out your third member for ya' ?..........I mean you supply the completely set up chunk, and all they have to do is pop the axles a bit, remove and replace the chunk, and button up the axles..........lube it, etc..........

Whad'ya think ?

im ont being a jerk or anything but are you injured? granted im young but its a very siimple task as long as your elbows and shoulders are up to it...

We'd probably do one for about 100 bucks.

Age doesnt have anything to do with it. Iam old and changed mine just last month. Its not that big a job. Go for it.

It's a 20 minute job if youre racing, 30 minutes for just doing the job, 45 minute job if you start the job get a beer and drink it and get back to work. The shop will charge you an 1 hour if you bring ALL the needed parts (oil, seal, some rtv).

im ont being a jerk or anything but are you injured? granted im young but its a very siimple task as long as your elbows and shoulders are up to it...

When you're 57, lifting an 80 pound chunk while layin' on yer' back under the car AIN'T a whole lotta fun any more. Capishe' ?

When you're 57, lifting an 80 pound chunk while layin' on yer' back under the car AIN'T a whole lotta fun any more. Capishe' ?

I don't care if your 157 years old, follow these instructions......

Get the car on stands, tie the chunk to your floor jack and use that to set it. Same with taking it out. Piece of cake

oh i know... i have hardly any caralige in my elbows anymore from Baseball... so i know pain...

bill deadman, slant six turbo guy made a really cool pumpkin installer out of a trans jack...

You guys are incredible.........an old fart like me with bad discs and an inability to work layin' on a floor gets absolutely no mercy.

Conviction with no trial:protest:........Beatin' with no cause:violent1:.......Slapped on a grill like a piece o' raw meat:angryfir:........Roast on a spit like a naked chicken (no naked chicken smilie available)........honestly.....

I'll tell ya' what........I'll jack it up, and YOU guys come and change the chunk........otherwise, my guys 'll have to put it in the air and swap it fer' me. Ask Memike........He'll tell ya' how it is. :-({|=

Figure 2 hours at a shop. Don't know the rates in your area. Maybe 100-200 depending on hourly rates.

Figure 2 hours at a shop. Don't know the rates in your area. Maybe 100-200 depending on hourly rates.
Im in central pa 10 bucks is the going price around here stay away from new car dealerships or you will pay 250

Wish you were closer,I'd do that for $100 for you.

You guys are incredible.........an old fart like me with bad discs and an inability to work layin' on a floor gets absolutely no mercy.

Conviction with no trial:protest:........Beatin' with no cause:violent1:.......Slapped on a grill like a piece o' raw meat:angryfir:........Roast on a spit like a naked chicken (no naked chicken smilie available)........honestly.....

I'll tell ya' what........I'll jack it up, and YOU guys come and change the chunk........otherwise, my guys 'll have to put it in the air and swap it fer' me. Ask Memike........He'll tell ya' how it is. :-({|=

Now thats funny, taking it in stride!:D

I'll be swapping mine AGAIN here shortly! :banghead:
I got sold one with a bad suregrip and the car doesn't want to move, I was actually blaming the trans! :eek:ops:
Now I get to swap it out again in the driveway. I'm 55 years old too. :binky:

I remember the first one I did at 17.......my 68 Charger, gettin' it ready for N/Stock-A drags at Lebanon Valley........Had an open 3.23, and a guy I worked for got me a 4.56 Sure Grip ready to put in.......

I did it on my back on a gravel driveway, in a tee-shirt, with nuthin' but an old bumper jack holdin' the rear up....a couple of old wrenches....I think I had a couple pieces of firewood chockin' the wheels........

AHhhhhhhhhhhhhh....those were the days. (come to think of it, that's proll'y WHY I'm so cramped up NOW). :rambo: Idiot.

Why give the guy a hard time? If he would rather pay someone else to do thats his decision, mechanics got to eat to. As for a price, why not just call your local driveline shop and ask? It would probablly be more accurate than all these guys guessing at it.

Tom, do you have a shop that you trust local? You know, the small ones that don't have the big overhead. Take it to one of them, shouldn't cost more than $100.

Next March I will be down your way. I would do it for free. You now, one of those things you miss when your on vacation.

Jack

Hay Tom, why not drive to Macon one weekend? Come see me. I'll do it for nothin more than to meet a new friend.

Why give the guy a hard time? If he would rather pay someone else to do thats his decision, mechanics got to eat to. As for a price, why not just call your local driveline shop and ask? It would probablly be more accurate than all these guys guessing at it.

I called the driveline shop.......their price was as high as the '69 Moon Shot.

-
Back