Primer bottom of roof best way.

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
I am getting ready to prime the bottom side of my roof.This would be the area under the headliner.I have a HVLP spray gun but I am thinking the old type of spray gun with the paint cup on the bottom may work out better.Looks like I am going to have to hold the spray gun at a pretty go angle.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks,Jim

If it has any surface rust at all I would give it a coat of Rustmort (rustoleum product) or anything comparable. Then paint it. The small top tank gun might be better. You can pick one up pretty reasonable at Harbor Freight.

By the way did you get my PM?

Yep gravity guns don't spray upside down very well, I'd use a suction gun for spraying the underside.

You can get collapsible bladder type cups. These collapse with vacuum allowing a gravity feed to spray in any gun position.

You can get collapsible bladder type cups. These collapse with vacuum allowing a gravity feed to spray in any gun position.

X2! Best in my opinion. I just bought new primer guns from the paint store. They are DeVilbiss, they came with the liner setup and 10 liners for $85. That was 2 guns!

If you don't want to spend money just go to the local Walmart and by a roller and roll it on. No one will see it anyway! Less mess!:D

I am about at that stage. I will use a foam brush to apply Rust Destroyer, which has a rust converter, etches bare metal, and is good to 800 F. I removed most of the rust w/ a drill wire brush, sand blaster, and sandpaper, but still some black rust. I will also foam paint the floor. I have the dash and front and rear windows covered, but still don't want to risk spray getting to my finished dash. I will spray the door interiors, but those can be isolated from the interior w/ cloth sheets.

-
Back