Primer Questions

-

R72Demon

Reaction score
I stripped my entire car all to bare metal and epoxy primered it. All body work is now done and it was sprayed with high build primer surfacer. I just finished blocking the entire car. Should I spray it with reduced epoxy to use as a sealer before paint???

You can but you don't have to, as long as you don't have any sand throughs into the filler work and you didn't final sand with anything to coarse, not that epoxy fills sanding scratches well.

Perfect! Wipe it down with de-greaser in one hand, dry clean cloth in the other, then tack it and away you go :toothy10:

If you have primer/surfacer on it, yes you do need a primer/sealer. I just finished pressure washing the paint off my Demon - came off in sheets because whoever painted it went right over the primer surfacer, which stuck well to the original paint and bodywork. Years ago I worked in a first class body shop and everything we did was primer/sealer over the primer/surfacer.

I've painted over it and know many others that have, I've never heard of paint lifting like you describe. That sounds more like missing your top coat window without sanding :scratch:

This is a quote from a 25+ year pro during a sealer conversation: :laughing:

"All "good brands of high build primer dont need to be sealed over unless you sand through.
There is NO reason to seal over good primer!

What is it with all this "SEALER" ****,,,,,,,SEALER SUCKS!!!!

If you have your car covered in primer and sand it with out going through it,,,YOU DONT NEED SEALER!!!!!! ITS THAT SIMPLE!!!!

Now when were talking sand throughs your talking about into the filler work right? I don't have any spots were I've sanded into filler, but I do have a few spots were you can just start to see the epoxy primer.

Yes sand throughs into the filler. Epoxy can be used as a sealer so if you sanded through to it you can paint over it. I think a lot of people these days use a reduced epoxy as a sealer and it's not a bad idea, you just don't have to. I've done it both ways. I can't imagine the average body shop spending the extra on a sealer, definitley not for collision repairs. If you have adhesion problems it's because of prep in all probability. There's 2 ways for paint to stick, chemical bond, no sanding needed you top coated within the time window or mechanical bond, sanded to provide tooth.

http://www.autobody101.com/forums/

check this site. i used sealer mainly for a consistant color under the paint. seems it wasnt that expensive either. im not trying to bash anyone here, i just learned alot from that site and my paint came out sweet for first time painting.

Rob was a great help to me while I was painting my engine compartment.I primed with epoxy, then sprayed color over that.

IM000064.jpg

IM000073.jpg

IM000064.jpg

IM000073.jpg

IM000064.jpg

IM000073.jpg

I would use sealer especially if:
>you had any bare metal showing(usually edges, body lines, etc) showing
>you sand though to a different colored primer
>you sand into the filler
>you have both primered areas and painted areas that are different colors

Mostly it seals in the underlying materials from the paint you are putting on, and provides a uniform color to give the paint a base.

Sounds like you have done it right and really don't need to seal it. Additionally, another coat of anything is more chance of dirt, bugs, drips, runs, and the whole ugly mess that you may have to deal with while it is drying.

I always use a transparent sealer like Diamont DS30 or its equivalent or a tintable sealer. It adds adhesion promotion, helps fill sand scratches, and if you're shooting a color that is prone to taking 37 coats to hide, then the tintable helps out on the BC usage. While it's not what I do to earn a paycheck now, I was certified for PPG, Diamont/Glasurit, and Martin Senour paint lines. While I agree that you don't need to use a transparent sealer, I've never had it be detrimental to a paint job.

I've been a member of the Auotobody101 site for a few years and it is a very good site. The quote I put in is from the Old Dupont Guy, he knows as much as anyone there. The question was do you need to use a sealer, the answer is no. A lot of people like to but you don't have to. I like to spray over a consistant color too but it sounded like it was a consistant color, just a different primer, that's all, with a couple of small sand throughs to the epoxy, which isn't going to be a problem. You don't have to spray over a consistant color for that matter, it's a good idea for a newb but as long as you put on enough color it will be fine, some colors cover better than others. Once you have proper coverage the color is the color, it doesn't get any darker like it does on the first couple of coats. :-D

-
Back