PRIMER what are you using?

-

1mean7Ddart

Reaction score
just wanted to start this thread to clear the air on when and what to use (Epoxy, Urethane, Polyester and Lacquer primer). what is the majority of people using. Does the brand and price really = quality

i've used PPG DP50LF at a shop i worked at years ago. stuffs very expensive ($200) primer and hardener. in my opinion its good but a bit tough to sand.

PCL Polyester Primer Surfacer ($80) is what's on my car now. nice high build sands great. but have had it shrink and crack on several place on the car. some people have told me they have had the same problem even with it.

i have a gallon of HOK Ko-Seal II Urethane Primer Sealer($140) that i haven't tried but my buddy swears by it.

after the car is stripped Epoxy has to be the first coat. after that urethane high build

omni on the epoxy and transtar on the high build

Omni MP170 I have found is the cheapest and best epoxy for the money and then they also have the 2k primer surface that goes on over that ....the one with catalyst ...NOT the lacquer primer ....the 2k does not shrink back very much even though I give it some time to "gas" out....then I usually use the MP170 mixed as a sealer with MR186 over that after all the sanding is done and im ready to button it up and start the base coat

the polyester primer is only when your going to use a candy and even at that im not really impressed with it ...its like sprayable bondo.

Omni MP170 I have found is the cheapest and best epoxy for the money and then they also have the 2k primer surface that goes on over that ....the one with catalyst ...NOT the lacquer primer ....the 2k does not shrink back very much even though I give it some time to "gas" out....then I usually use the MP170 mixed as a sealer with MR186 over that after all the sanding is done and im ready to button it up and start the base coat

nice thing about here is gassing happens before it hits the panel lol

also omni has a dedicated 2K primer sealer that is AMAZING! we were thinning the surfacer with ok results, switched to the dedicated sealer and it cut our color sanding time in half!

I don't know if it is still available but I remember DP90 and K36...but it was way more expensive and came in black ...I remember that when I was starting out and then it disappeared ...I like that it came in black ...made your parts look like new AMD metal. plus it had a sweeter smell to it ...which I don't advise smelling it a lot ....and I didn't ...just observation

Sikkens colorbuild plus.It is nice and thick and sands easy.Some of the cheaper name brands are like spraying water, really thin.Sikkens is not cheap....

Rani-Got any pic's of the cars u have painted??? Thanks Steve

here is some of the cars we have done ground-up's on... just a couple

481622_396346947147935_1700257165_n.jpg

1000990_413215515461078_1248068971_n.jpg

1312_415735721875724_227823022_n.jpg

-
Back