Primering car in garage attached to house

-
Get Sherwins williams heavy primer, you won't sand through, if the body is close to straight. If not, go back and fill in the low spots in 15 minutes. They primer really shows up the lows.

Get Sherwins williams heavy primer, you won't sand through, if the body is close to straight. If not, go back and fill in the low spots in 15 minutes. They primer really shows up the lows.

We are not starting with bare metal first off, if this helps. I also already have Transtar Euro primer Low Voc. How many coats should I spray before letting it dry and going first round of sanding? aka One coat over original paint then flash then another then dry?

I do 4 coats if I mix it 4:1 or 5 if I mix it 4:1:1.

And yes its best to give it some time to dry and shrink every time. I cant say I havent block a car out a day or two after priming it though.

I do 4 coats if I mix it 4:1 or 5 if I mix it 4:1:1.

And yes its best to give it some time to dry and shrink every time. I cant say I havent block a car out a day or two after priming it though.

So coat 1, flash, coat 2 flash, coat 3 flash coat 4 dry...block 180..then 1 coat more...block 180 finish with 220 or 1 coat then 220 and wet sand and then seal correct?

Adam,how do you like the Transstar primer? Bodywork roughed out,have it at work.

Adam,how do you like the Transstar primer? Bodywork roughed out,have it at work.

Ive used it for years, Works just as good as the other stuff Ive used that cost 2Xs as much. It works well for me and I get it for $100 for a gallon set up.

What does "2.0 - 2.5 mils per coat (dry film thickness)" mean?

Nothing you can measure. Medium wet coats. Enough to see it on there, Not so much that it runs. It will take a while to get use to the gun but primer is the best way to learn to shoot.

Nothing you can measure. Medium wet coats. Enough to see it on there, Not so much that it runs. It will take a while to get use to the gun but primer is the best way to learn to shoot.

Okay, and yes I figured that since it will be sanded anyways. I will be able to tell if I am to close or pressure is too much etc.

Do you think I will need a long super flex sanding board or should my set of 7 dura blocks be good?

-
Back