Priming my motor

-

dustya_383

Reaction score
I'm priming my motor right now and am having a little problem when I run the drill I get up to about 80psi and hold it for about 10 second I'm getting oil to the rockers on the passenger side of the motor but not on the drivers side. Should I hold it for longer? Or will oil get there during start up?? Any ideas on wat this is??

It should pump up on one side first and then the other.Yes prime it a while longer ,about the time you think its not going to prime it will then start to prime up.

Two ideas pop in my head:
1). Cam bearings not in alignment with the oil galleys machined in the block, or...
2). Drivers side rocker shaft needs to be flipped to mate with the oil galleys in the rocker pedestals. The shaft is supposed to go in a certain direction.

Oil only flows to the rockers when the hole in the cam lines up with the right or left side. Cant happen at the same time with out rotating the assembly.

I dont remember having to rotate the crank as well.But then again I have had nothing but big blocks the last 15 years.

Cam oil passage only lines up once a cam rotation once left once right.

They rotate together if the timing chain is installed but cam half speed half of crankshsft.

So should I rotate cam at the same time ?

haha dork.. If you have the timing chain on, when you rotate the crank it rotates the came at the same time. Get another person to hold the drill while you rotate the motor. I can help you friday. you should really be priming it right before start anyways.:rr:

haha dork.. If you have the timing chain on, when you rotate the crank it rotates the came at the same time. Get another person to hold the drill while you rotate the motor. I can help you friday. you should really be priming it right before start anyways.:rr:

Well I wanted to make sure I was getting oil to where it needs to be before I put the valve covers on I dnt have a stArter so I won't be starting til next Monday anyways

haha k cool. Get your starter off ebay. Mini Starter should be like 70 or less

A starter off of a 93 or 96 ( I forget which year) dakota V-6 will work as well, and its a mini. I got mine from th local parts house with a lifetime warranty.

A starter off of a 93 or 96 ( I forget which year) dakota V-6 will work as well, and its a mini. I got mine from th local parts house with a lifetime warranty.

Yea I had one off a 93 but took it back cause it wouldn't jump ( reman) I asked them for a new one I'll be getting my money back tomorrow

-
Back