Priming the oil pump

-

73dartneedswork

Reaction score
I’m trying to prime the oil pump on my 318. When I spin the oil pump with my drill where should I see oil at?

I’m not seeing any oil coming up into the heads. I know that oil is flowing because I didn’t have the oil pressure sensor in, and oil came out of that hole.

Thanks,
Kris

You need to slowly turn the crankshaft and spin the engine. The oil holes line up during rotation. You can turn it about 10* at a time and then hit the drill again. Repeat the step, You eventually will see oil go to the rocker shafts. It is time consuming. 1 side comes in at a certain degree and then the other at a different degree.

If I remember correctly on HUGHES ENGINES site there is a tech article that says what degree the oil will start to flow.

Make sure the drill is turning the pump clockwise.

Mad dart is right, you need to turn the crank to get oil up top. I usually hook a mechanical oil pressure gauge to the port next to the distributor to get a reading of what's happening.

If someone is rotating the engine while you are priming the pressure will drop 2 - 3 lbs. for a few seconds when the oil holes line up . , get one side , then rotate and get the other side.

Thanks for the replies! I turned the motor and was able to get flow. Next time I’ll start by taking both valve covers off.:toothy10:

I’m stoked, I got the motor running. I need to button a few things up and I’ll be driving her again shortly!

Sweet! I am at that stage myself. My right angle filter adaptor was leaking bad so I had to stop the process. That and my pressure line was bad and gave me a nice oil shower. Line fixed and gaskets will be here today.:cheers:

-
Back