Pro and Cons of E85

-
Here is another question.
Is there enough gas in E85 to still read a spark plug, or is that one more thing to add to the E85 conversion?(02 sensor in the headers and a gauge to read it!)

Here is another question.
Is there enough gas in E85 to still read a spark plug, or is that one more thing to add to the E85 conversion?(02 sensor in the headers and a gauge to read it!)

If you have a good-quality, working, A/F meter, is there any reason why you should need (or, want) to "read" spark plugs? I'd think the mixture information you could get from a wideband, data-logging, oxygen sensor would be better than anything a spark plug could show you, but I am asking because I don't know. :banghead:

If you have a good-quality, working, A/F meter, is there any reason why you should need (or, want) to "read" spark plugs? I'd think the mixture information you could get from a wideband, data-logging, oxygen sensor would be better than anything a spark plug could show you, but I am asking because I don't know. :banghead:

I agree but nope, never had or used one. rely on plug reading. currently i'm running leaded racing fuel so i would have to switch to unleaded before i could start that learning curve.

Try it; you'll like it... :D

LOL the dollar signs for the conversion and then more for O2 sensor/gauge is what make this conversion tough for me.

Got a call in to Sunoco for some pricing between there 110 leaded and the E85-R

LOL the dollar signs for the conversion and then more for O2 sensor/gauge is what make this conversion tough for me.

Got a call in to Sunoco for some pricing between there 110 leaded and the E85-R

No doubt about it; an A/F ratio meter is NOT CHEAP, but I can't imagine trying to tune any forced-induction engine without one. It could probably be done, but, not by me.... :banghead:

I can count the number of well tuned cars I've seen WITHOUT an A/F meter on one hand...

Most of the cars were decent at idle and WOT, in between was usually a disaster.

Plenty of vehicles see a large increase in fuel economy after a good tune up with an A/F meter, especially cruise speeds.

I've observed the same results as another in the thread, e78, e85, e88, didn't change the way the car runs.

Well E85- R is no deal! it just as expencive as regular race gas:???:

OK here you go

Leaded: Distributor Retail
Sunoco Standard 110 $384.48 $432.52
Sunoco Supreme 112 $424.74 $477.83

Unleaded:
Distributor Retail
Sunoco E85-R $393.06 $442.19
Sunoco 260 GT 100 $373.92 $420.66
Sunoco 260 GT Plus 104 $429.36 $483.03

Well E85- R is no deal! it just as expencive as regular race gas:???:

OK here you go

Leaded: Distributor Retail
Sunoco Standard 110 $384.48 $432.52
Sunoco Supreme 112 $424.74 $477.83

Unleaded:
Distributor Retail
Sunoco E85-R $393.06 $442.19
Sunoco 260 GT 100 $373.92 $420.66
Sunoco 260 GT Plus 104 $429.36 $483.03

Thabks for the good info. Guess I'll continue to offer up my pound of flesh for the un-leaded hi-octane $10.--/gal. stuff for the foreseeable future... :banghead:

e85-R likely uses a portion of unleaded race fuel in the mixture, not your 87 octane pump swill.

e85-R likely uses a portion of unleaded race fuel in the mixture, not your 87 octane pump swill.

Yeah i figured it would be less As racing gas(E85), then racing gas.
Us twice as much for the same price.......now that make a hole lot of sense:violent1:.

Why would you invest all that $$$$ into converting to E85-R ?????

I can see the pump gas, aka gas station E85 might work, and be cost effective.(in the long run)but that's it.

I don't think i will be so gun ho on this idea. Maybe someday when it's available in my town.

I can find Methanol by the tankers full around here.......But where do you go to get "pure Ethanol" to "juice up" your pump gas E85?

Many e85 sellers also sell e98. You can either adjust to exactly 85% or up to just running the e98. I'd rather be somewhere in between so I can control the exact % and keep my tune.

Many e85 sellers also sell e98. You can either adjust to exactly 85% or up to just running the e98. I'd rather be somewhere in between so I can control the exact % and keep my tune.

Sounds like a good plan! Once there is such a thing in my town.

-
Back