pro comp big block heads

-
Did know they were making them? I've got a set of PC oval ports on a 454 that worked quite well.

The quality on the ones I have for the BBC is decent and they work.

THe small cc runners flow on par with eddy's and the larger cc runner head flows just beyond a ported eddy.

So I'm left with a couple questions....

1. How much $$?
2. What port window?
3. What rockers are used?

I have someone that's going to port a new set for me,with max wedge ports,can I use a indy 400-2 manifold on these

Just got some for a guy they look decent guide clearance was on the money.was an extra retainer and valve lock in the box.car haven't run yet .they were 769.00 for the pair.

just got some for a guy they look decent guide clearance was on the money.was an extra retainer and valve lock in the box.car haven't run yet .they were 769.00 for the pair.

offset rocker arms........!

I know my local porter personally. He's actually pretty renowned. He says the Pro Comp stuff is good. He likes the quality of the castings a lot. I know the argument rages about where they are made, but he says they are cast in Australia.

Yep offset rockers .but if the heads work good even with the rocker setup it will still come in less than a set of eddys

bob,thats what im trying to find a few answers to,if these heads ported to max wedge size will flow,i think ported they flow 325 without putting them on a flow bench

In terms of casting quality, I have heard now from more then one builder that the pro comps have come a LONG way and are much better now. Still a good idea to load them with your own good parts i.e. guides, valves, etc. but the castings themselves are a decent starting point

when I get the heads in ill post pics,they ported them and have roller springs in them for 750 lift,as I have a roller cam,i will have to run a indy intake as they been ported to max wedge size

when I get the heads in ill post pics,they ported them and have roller springs in them for 750 lift,as I have a roller cam,i will have to run a indy intake as they been ported to max wedge size

you all might be interested in this: we flowed my procomp victor knock offs.
we back cut the intakes a small amount, made 10 cfm dif. @ .200 , and .400 lift,
everywhere else was about 2 cfm. they are standard port cnc`d , flowed 350 on the intake @ 600 lift. my street roller is .620-.628-before lash (.016-.018 lash)
I`m well pleased w/ them, altho we changed the retainers and keepers for some compcam parts. it appears the exh. valves are s.s., and the intakes are low grade s.s.
the only thing I don`t like about them is the threads aren`t helicoiled, but the bolt holes are very deep, so I`ll run the longest bolts bolts possible in them w/ anti-seaze and torque them carefully, don`t expect a problem, unless a guy had to torque and re-torque over and over. would like to run my new victor intake on them, but afraid I can`t get the carb under my 6-pack scoop. it stuck above the fenders when I had it all dummied up, w/ no air filter. currantly have the eng. on the stand w/ a torquer 2 on it.---bob

thanks famous bob,these are brand new heads,i just need to get a indy intake since there now maxwedge ported,and ill be running Harland sharp rockers with smith bros push rods,on a victory intake 383 can I port that to match wedge

My customer did.they are going to be overkill on his low. Comppression 268xe crammed 440...

At least he went the XE.... I expected the single pattern High Energy 268H.

had a guy flow check the little torker 2 intake I`m planning on using(for now)
I talked to dave at hughs engines, and he told me they quit porting the torker 2.
so being the hotrodder that I am, I decided to try and widen the short heigth runners, to bring them closer to the best flowing tall center runners. not completely cleaned up yet but they flowed all around the 300-range per port. except one. don`t know which one it is, but will find out when I pick it up, and work a little more on it, since what I did is aperantly working. still need to bull nose the runner seperators a little also. this intake as good as it is, is really going to choke my procomp heads. will try to get the new victor and breather under the 6 pack scoop later on.! oh by the way , the stock victor only flows about 17 more cfm than my little torker, may have to open it up a little, of course I`m gettin carried away for a street car, even tho ti`ll have a fast 2 f.inj. on it ----------bob:coffee2:

F.B,Thanks... It's a typical out of the box intake. Anything on the intake/exhaust tracts,need to be massaged.

I run pro comp heads on my 440 30 over they have comp cams hardware and are mildly ported, i run a victor intake and a 600 lift solid comp cam, the engine runs good, had to use coustom push rods from manton and the push rod holes had to be reworked.

after getting the heads and seeing that I would have to replaced the valves,springs,retainers,i read elsewhere that the guides are cheap,and the push rod tubes need to be open up,so not wanting to put a ton of more money into them I sold them on ebay,i am looking for 440-1 heads,was going to use b-1,but they told me I need new pistons as I couldn't use the pistons I have,and they told me they would only work on 4.5 bore blocks,so,im returning to 440-1 heads,looking for a pair with roller springs

-
Back