Problem Duster finally fired up

-

Uncle Bob

Shiny paint causes stress.
Reaction score
Many of you have helped me out with my Duster; you might recall I had one battle after another getting the engine installed, mostly because I kept having to take thing apart to get the next thing to fit right. Eventually I got the engine in, and I broke the cam in last night.

That microphone on my phone really does a bang up job, doesn't it?

I ran it for a half hour at or above 2300 RPM and the temp never got much above 160.

The engine is a 360 LA +.030, SpeedPro H116CP pistons, Edelbrock heads and Performer RPM intake, a Brawler 750 vac secondary carb, and a Howard's 711451-08 with 273 rocker arms. That's backed up by a McLeod flywheel and Super Street Pro clutch/pressure plate, a 4-speed, and 3.91 gears. It will be fun.

Just thought this might bring closure to anyone who wonders whatever happened to that guy who had to beat hell out of a set of Doug's headers to get them installed. :thumbsup:

Let me know how you like that cam.

I'm expecting good things out of it with the bump in compression and not going hog wild on duration. Will let you know how it goes once I've changed the oil and double checked the clutch adjustment. I will be trying to take it easy on the clutch for a while to break it in, while NOT taking it easy on the engine, also to break it in.

When I tried to set the idle speed to something reasonable it wouldn't adjust below 1600 RPM (I had installed the throttle cable too tight). I just shut it down at that point since break-in was over, so I didn't get to hear the cam at idle.

I'm actually trying to NOT let it idle for the next several starts just to be on the safe side.

Hell yeah dude, congratulations. The harder the fight, the sweeter the victory. I’ve seen people give up on projects when faced with those kinds of issues. You didn’t. Thats real man ****.

Hell yeah dude, congratulations. The harder the fight, the sweeter the victory. I’ve seen people give up on projects when faced with those kinds of issues. You didn’t. Thats real man ****.
It's just hot rodding. It never fails, you should never give up, and never get angry. :thumbsup:

It's just hot rodding. It never fails, you should never give up, and never get angry. :thumbsup:
LOL don’t come around my garage when I am building, angry is an understatement. If you don’t combine swear words in new, nonsensical ways, are you really hot rodding?

LOL don’t come around my garage when I am building, angry is an understatement. If you don’t combine swear words in new, nonsensical ways, are you really hot rodding?
I do plenty of creative cussing, but I broke enough stuff to learn to not get too carried away. It does feel good though, doesn't it? Kind of like when I was beating dents in those header tubes, sweet relief.

I do plenty of creative cussing, but I broke enough stuff to learn to not get too carried away. It does feel good though, doesn't it? Kind of like when I was beating dents in those header tubes, sweet relief.
You just gotta let it out sometimes man!

Screenshot_20200707-160111_Chrome.jpg

Yup.. that mic sucks... sounds like mad valvetrain chatter. Glad to hear you go it it sorted... as others have said, now go have some fun!

Don't feel bad about bashing the eff outta the headers. I got a nice shiny set of ceramic coated longtubes for my big block Ford... what they looked like after a 40 hour installation was shameful.... lol.

This is why I put TTI shorty's on my 360LA. :thumbsup:

-
Back