Problem or run around?

-

Mister Twister

Reaction score
I hooked up my turbo two weeks ago, street beat this with 6lbs to 16lbs of boost, running sweet 16lbs is where it started to spin. The fifth day cruzin 2200rpm I noticed some white smoke comming from the back of car :cry:.

The used turbo started leaking oil into the exhaust. So I re-built the cartridge, first time doing this. It leaked worse than ever. I did not have it re balanced, when I did this. I sent this unit to Georgia (Garrett Turbo) they said it looked fine to them.

Now with a new cartridge, oil pressure up before starting, 1/2" drain worked fine. It seemed to be fine for the warm up, no exhaust, no cold side plumbing. When up to temp, connected exhaust and cold side air ran fine for 30 minuits in the drive way, 20 minuits around the neiborhood.

Then cruzing 2200rpm with some ups and downs in rpm I noticed the smoke again :angryfir: after 10 miles. I checked the compression, water and oil all fine. The car ran nice and cool for the ride topping out at 180 the whole trip.

Am I missing something? The turbo shop said something is wrong with my drain, I have disconnected the drain, still doe's it. They told me it was my motor leaking, no oil before turbo/in manifold? Runs fine without turbo.

Any ideas would help, Buy a new one is what they keep saying. 60 DAY WARRENTY one time? I think it should last more than one or two days.

OK if there is't oil on the intake side then check the exhaust side for oil in the manifold. Otherwise check the return side of the oil galley for actual return volume . The oil only lubricates the bearings so should return the same as it is supplied. Last thought is being over pressurized . What kind of oil pressure you running? One extra thought. what kind of lines are you using? ridgid of flexable? might be a prob with the flexable type internally

Check the exhaust PRE-turbo for oil residue....that would point to the engine.
If the oil residue is only after the turbo....its the oil seal inside the cartridge on the turbine side.....period.

Have any pictures of the setup?

Check the exhaust PRE-turbo for oil residue....that would point to the engine.
If the oil residue is only after the turbo....its the oil seal inside the cartridge on the turbine side.....period.

Have any pictures of the setup?

They told me it was my motor leaking, no oil before turbo/in manifold? Runs fine without turbo. oil pressure 50lbs, drain hose was taken off for the testing. Still leaked. No oil in the cold side (yet).

Here is a couple shots, thanks for the help, little flustered!! Ready for test and tune. My G-Tech said it's running in the 12's now. Almost 5 second pick up, we will see. Three units doing the same thing?

ncctss1.JPG

tdl2.JPG

They also said take off the air filter? It's new? Is it enough? Ran for an hour or more before leaking started.
pic_2405.jpg

Two weeks of down time so far, cartridge is new they said, it should not leak but it doe's. I wish I had one that we new did not leak, just to see if this happened again. Thanks for all your help on this. Don't need to go up in smoke see ya Don ](*,)

Something is definitely up, my home rebuilt junkyard turbo doesn't leak and it has almost the same setup as far as feed and drain are concerned.
I do remember that the piston ring is directional on the turbo I have. Kind of beveled one way...Not sure if yours is like that but if Garret said it was good???
Most of the guys that have issues with new turbos have to do with feed issues, too much pressure or too small of a return. Some even have to use a feed line restriction...wow I've been no help at all... sorry
This is the before pic during the rebuild.

Attachments

• IMG00408 (Medium).jpg
    62 KB · Views: 219
Is that your Oil Drain Hose? Another thing is how MUCH oil are you running in your crankcase..It looks like the return hole is low...like into the standing oil capacity...I dont know for sure...maybe once the oil warms up and expands it reaches your drain hole level and slightly surpasses it restricting drain back.

You need a minimum of 1/2" ID from turbo to above the oil pan (preferably for this reason) to fully gravity drain that volume of oil at 50+ psi.

Here read this link:
http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/tech_center/turbo_optimization.html

About Oil Drainage.....it says -10AN is adequate for most applications.
3/8" is not sufficient.

Nice build....cant wait to hear how awesome it runs once you get it dialed in!!!

All of you hit it right!! Murray's sells a oil feed line restriction plate. This is mounted just under the feed line on top of the cartrige. I did not buy one cause I had made the plate to start with.

dons%20pics%20011.jpg

Now in the kit has a plate with a hole as big as a paper clip to start with 1/16", then tells you to drill the hole open larger according to HP levels? I don't like it but it worked!!
tfl6.JPG

What I did was weld the hole shut ground it off flat and drilled my hole starting with 1/16". No leaks with the hole at that size!! I will keep drilling the hole larger for more oil in turbo after moving the drain tube up per Prines request. The drain is over oil level now over 1" good point about whipping it passed the hole not allowing oil to exit smoothly.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZPPRhLMT2E"]YouTube - ‪twistedup‬‏[/ame]
Thanks to all I will get some more video soon. This is where boost just starts comming in 6#'s To fast for the zoom now? blurry:-|

See this oil line feed build here.
http://stormcomm.net/moparsnmorefor...D=f7a6ca1205f958f7910ab0726e6e3ef3&topic=93.0

I want more video, that thing sounds awesome... did you do a build thread somewhere? I'd love to see more of your set-up.

Time to fire the camera operator. I think I saw bigfoot. :p

More vids please :)

-
Back