Problem with Clevite bearing

-

71b5duster

Reaction score
Just a heads up. I rebuilt a sb a few weeks ago and ran into a problem with new Clevite Bearings. When I installed the main bearings in I just happen to notice there wasn't an oil hole drilled into one of the thrust bearing. I checked the bearings package thinking they have packaged two many thrust CAP bearings. I kept the original bearings so I checked to see if the upper thrust bearing had a oil hole and just as I suspected it did have. I'm thinking that two thrust CAP bearings were installed in the package from the factory because the package had never been opened. I was shocked to discover this. These bearing are suppose to be the best.
Had I not noticed this my new rebuilt engine would have lasted about five mins.
Guys keep your eyes open for things like this because it would be real depressing to have to pull an engine out again because some nit wit made a mistake.

Clevites are good bearing but like any company there is the human element and humans make mistakes, lord know I made my share of them. This is why a good engine builder or mechanic checks everything before assembly. Mistakes happen with with the best of companies. When I was a Honda auto mechanic I put a new, from Honda crate engine in a Civic. Because my engine building experience of pre-libing engines I made a pre-lube tool to pre-lube the motor. When I went to put my pre-lube tool in the motor it dropped all the way down to the pan and I'm thinking what the hell did it do that for? I pulled the pan to retrieve my pre-lube tool, which ticked me off and I discover that there was no oil pump in the motor right from Honda. Some people will say the Honda is probably one of the highest quality, best car makers there is and they may be, but, they can still mke mistakes.

Chuck

Cleavite's good. But like was said, everybody screws up. I've had two #4 cam bearings from Durabond, I've had a standard lower main shell in a full grooved set, mixed sizes in a sealed set... Stuff happens.. That's why we look...lol.

You guys might make mistakes but I don't. I thought I made a mistake once but then found out that I was wrong. My wife even says that I am perfect. Anybody buy this crap?

There was only one perfect man and he was crucified.......

We all make mistakes but that comment above is one of the most valid things I have ever heard.....trust but verify.

-
Back