Problem with new springs and retainers

-

blackhand

Reaction score
I've been anxiously awaiting my new springs and retainers and I finally have them in-hand. All of the parts look great, I ended up going with the Crane springs that OldmanRick steered me to, and some Comp 10 degree retainers and locks. But of course there's a problem :banghead:

The distance between the bottom of the retainer and the valve stem seal is exactly the advertised lift of my cam on the exhaust side and 0.005" LESS than the advertised lift on the intake side. I need either my retainers or valve guides to be 0.06" shorter for proper clearance. Removing the heads to have them machined is simply not an option right now. I'm not aware of any retainers that would be any shorter because no manufacturer gives the height in any of their specs.

I'm thinking about machining the bottom of the retainers to make them fit. If I take 0.06" off of the bottom it looks like the lock would still be fully enclosed in the retainer and no portion of it would be sticking out the bottom. Any thoughts?

You need more clearance than that. You need at least .100" clearance between the retainer and guide at max valve lift. You need to have the guides cut down. Very simple and inexpensive procedure.

-
Back