Problem with oil pan gasket?

-

RDJ

Reaction score
I have the FelPro 1807 oil pan gasket (LA 360). The rear seal appears too long. Is this fine, or should I use a different kind? Any suggestions? As you can see by the photo, it has a wrinkle when it is seated at the base. It seems to me that when I put the oil pan on, there will be a wrinkle somewhere in the gasket. Goop up the channel with RTV?

PanGasket.jpg

I used the Fel-Pro gasket from the main gasket set. I buttoned the pan up, hated the way the rear rubber seal was trying to squeeze out. Due to another issue during the engine build, I had to pull the pan off so this time I bought the factory pan gasket from the local Chrysler dealer. Night and day difference in the fit, seal stayed put. I have only about 30-40 minutes of break-in time on the engine, but thus far, no leaks!

I just went through this myself with my 360 build. Never could get it to seat right because it appeared to be too long. So I cut a small section out of it with an exacto knife and then bonded the edges of the cut with The Right Stuff.

Also used RTV on both top and bottom.

I don't think it will leak. The Right Stuff really did a good job bonding the two parts.

Humm. I've used Fel-pros in the past without any problems but it's been a couple yrs. ago since I used the last one. They must have a quality control issue going on. I wouldn't use a gasket that didn't fit any better than that. I just used a Mopar Perf. gasket set and it fit real good.

Had same problem recently. Tried to seal it twice. Never could get it to stop leaking. Mine looked just like yours, too long. I found a factory mopar seal that I got from somewhere. It fit perfect. So far no leaks after about 600 miles. The fel-pro would leak after about 3 miles. Go with a Mopar seal.

I just trimmed mine and RTV'd it and it worked fine. I thought the instructions said this? Correct me if i'm wrong. I used a razor blade on the one end and shortened it by a little under 1/4" and used the RTV, no problems yet. 2000 miles ago and still no problems with leaking.
I thought they were designed this way. It worked for me!
Just my 2 cents.
Tom.

When I did my 340 stroker a few months back (different oil pan gasket) I used a Felpro and it fit perfect. Problem must be unique to the 360 pan gasket.

-
Back