Problem with the Dart

-

Drache

1971 Dodge Dart Swinger
Reaction score
So before I put my car away in the fall I had some engine trouble while racing. There was a ping sound and I was getting a ticking sound from my engine and it was running a little rougher.

I let it sit for two weeks and when I fired it back up, it was running fine although the slight ticking noise was there.

Parked it for the winter out at the ranch and I fired it up again just last week. Fired right up after months of sitting dormant.

The ticking noise was still there, coming from the passenger side of the engine. I also noticed that the passenger side exhaust was blowing a little bluer (couldn't see the driver's side exhaust) and that, while the driver side exhaust had the normal rumble, the passenger side seemed to be popping a little.

Engine is a Dodge 440 Magnum with less than 5000km on it.

Oil was down about 1 Litre when I took it out. Filled it up and the pressure was normal. Not sure where this oil went.

Problem is only on the passenger side.

No loss of power.

Engine runs fine and idles fine, except for the ticking sound

I haven't had the valve covers off yet. Was planning on driving it the 50 miles back into town and take it to my cousin's shop here in Williams Lake for him to work on while I'm gone working for the next month or two. Was just trying to get some ideas on what the problem might be.

I don't have any time to work on it myself sadly since I'm stuck in town getting ready for work.

sounds like (no pun intended) a collapsed lifter, or exhaust leak. could be a valve or collapsed valve spring.

Could possibly be a wiped cam lobe as well. Personally I would pull the valve covers before you drive it further and have a look. Excessive valve train play on one or more will warrant deeper investigation. If it has wiped a lobe running and driving it more will spread metal through the engine and cause more damage. What type of cam / lifters are in it, are you using proper oil and additives?

When my Mopar 509 can wiped a lobe it was similar to what you describe.

I bought the car done. I don't know a lot about what is in that engine. Found this though:

6L9tkfc.jpg

Could possibly be a wiped cam lobe as well. Personally I would pull the valve covers before you drive it further and have a look. Excessive valve train play on one or more will warrant deeper investigation. If it has wiped a lobe running and driving it more will spread metal through the engine and cause more damage. What type of cam / lifters are in it, are you using proper oil and additives?

When my Mopar 509 can wiped a lobe it was similar to what you describe.

I think the 340 in my Satellite with the same purple cam did this too....was your car down on power and seemed like it was missing? Mine runs but does the this and has an ugly tick on the passenger side....will look into it better now the spring is here.

I think the 340 in my Satellite with the same purple cam did this too....was your car down on power and seemed like it was missing? Mine runs but does the this and has an ugly tick on the passenger side....will look into it better now the spring is here.

No loss of power that I noticed and the engine sounds like it's running fine except for the ticking, the slight blue color of the right side exhaust, and the very slight popping sound of that exhaust.

-
Back