Problems will not go away....

-

64X2

Mohel at your service.
Reaction score
I am still having problems with my shifter and linkage set up. It wants to put the trans in two gears at the same time, I have gone through the shifter and put new shims in and it still wants to put the car in two gears when you shift it into reverse I am sending the shifter to Wanye at Brewers. He brought up that I may not have the correct commponets, can you all provide me with pics of the correct parts needed to make this work. I will take pics of what I have and post them later tonite.

This is what I have...
64 valiant 318 V-8
79 A-833 OD trans
68 A-body shifter and corresponding linkage.

again will post pics to help with the visual aspect.

Thanks in Advance...
Pete

Didn't you post on this earlier? First thing I'd do is play with the 1/2 and 3/4 levers to "feel" that the detent spring and balls are working. You should get a definitive "snap" as the levers return to center into neutral, and you should NOT be able to get into two forward rears at once. (Mopar calls this the "interlock" in the diagram of the transmission) There is no lockout to reverse.

Also, in reverse, You CAN get the box into any forward gear AND reverse, but reverse ALSO has a detent ball and should "click" decisively into reverse.

Check this with the rods disconnected. Next, there should be a slot in the shifter where you can insert a bolt (I don't remember 1/4"? you'll have to try), or use appropriate allen wrench, etc. Slide clear through and lock up the shifter.

Next, adjust the rods until they fit easily back into the levers and you should be done.

Is there any slop in the bushings where the linkage moves up at the top, that is the pivot?

Shifters are REALLY fairly simple, but you could have detent problems in the box, bent shift fork, etc.

Have you downloaded the shop manuals yet?

This why I am still having problems. The trans levers, on the side of the trans, without being connect to the linkage, all function properly, had the car on jack stand and manually shift the car into all gears while the car was running and all worked great or as it was suppose to. I have had the shifter apart at least five times, and including adding new shims, and still have the problem. It will shift into first and reverse a few times, then when you try and shift back into reverse the shifter locks in that position and the car is stuck in two gears, if you let the clutch out the car does not move, but just stalls. I have used a 1/4 inch rod placed into the shifter and then set my linkage, while the trans was in neutral. I have done this several times and rechecked, and checked again and the same thing happens everytime. I have not gotten this car out of my driveway since this problem has occured. This all started two and half years ago when the three speed went out, and I had to collect the parts to convert it to a four speed. I finally finished last year, but do to illness, time and money had not had a chance to test it, which I finally did and cannot get past this problem.....so the car still sits in the garage undrivable, and another years of not getting to drive it is looming ahead of me, which is absoultely killing me...and making me feel stupid that I cannot solve this issue........fustrated to say the least...I have a FSM for the 64 Valiant and several shop manuals for the years of the trans and shifter, none of them have helped me solve this.....

That reminds me of the days I drove an old truck with "3 on the tree". If you shifted too fast the linkage would cause both levers to move at the same time resulting in 2 gears engaged at the same time. You had to turn off the truck and reposition the levers by hand. Those were the days!

I had a similar issue with an OD trans in my /6 Duster. The trans would keep getting stuck in second gear. The problem was the aluminum plate the shifter mechanism bolts to. The bolts were backing out causing the rods to be loose and out of adjustment. Unfortunately I did not realize it until the tranny got stuck in gear on the highway running about 4000 rpm with the engine low on oil. Burned the bearings & shut the engine down. Hope this helps.

No pics as of yet, got home late. I did compare what I have linkage rods and tabs, they all look correct for my application......so now I have to send the shifter to Brwers to see if it is the culprit...

So I have just about given up hope of ever driving my car again...........

The shifter has to be the problem and of course I am also out of money.......

So I have no clue when I can afford to get the one I have fixed or pick up a rebuilt one....

Thanks for everybodies help.........rant over...

This all started two and half years ago when the three speed went out, and I had to collect the parts to convert it to a four speed.

Did you collect all of the "correct parts"? Was the trans gone thru before installation? How bout the pilot bearing? What type did you use? Was the crank drilled to accept it, depth-wise as well? Just asking some questions that may have been over-looked.

How can it be stuck in 2 gears at the same time?

Don,t give up!It very well could be the pilot bushing.I,m not sure if they,re different for 3 speed to 4 speed?Good luck.

You can take the shifter apart yourself. Clean it up & lube it. Maybe that'll fix your problem. It could just be the internal parts of the shifter hanging up on each other trying to drag it into 2 gears at once. Can't tell you how to do it because it's been so long but I know that my Dad & I were able to figure it out with no real problems when I was about 16 or 17 years old (about 35 years ago). Seems like we had to pry the tower apart a bit. Pay attention to the order of all of the parts. Pretty simple & sturdy mechanism as I recall.

He said he had it apart at least 5x.

I have had the shifter apart at least five times, and including adding new shims, and still have the problem.

I don't think it's in the shifter. Usually when they do this it's the linkage ends attached to the shifter running into each other. That's what I've found does it almost every time. You got any pictures of how you have the linkage installed?

I have seen this happen a couple of times, both with Hurst Competition Plus units. One was with an OD trans. The fix was to get all of the slop out of the shifter. We could just tighten up on the main pivot bolt with the Hurst unit. I am sure that what is happening is the shift lever is not returning your reverse gate to neutral before going to the first-second gate. The mechanism on the trans is suppose to prevents you from actually going into two gears at once. So something is not working right there either. It is easy to swap the cover plate on the trans. I have an extra one you can have. Brewers will handle the shifter no problem.

This is the style shifter I am using...
I will get photos this weekend so you all can see the set up.

SN850040.jpg

Thanks for all the responses........this has to be the most aggravating thing I have ever dealt with as far as cars go.......I hate not being able to solve this problem, and it is bugging the **** out of me...

On an OD trans, isn't one of the shift levers reversed compared to a regular 833. I think 3rd gear is the old 4th gear, and the od gear is now 3rd, or something like that. maybe that is the problem. I beleive the rods are different for an OD 833 than a standard 833, not 100% sure though. Might have to check with Brewers to be sure.

I think 3rd gear is 1:1 and fourth is .69:1 on the od where as 4th on the standard is 1:1.

Kevin

This what I have and or I am dealing with, the diagram I included is how I have it set up when everything is installed in the car and on the trans. Also not shown is the shifter mounting plate that bolts the shifter to the trans, it is for a 64-66 A-body. The last photo was a first mock up, things have been trimmed and fixed so that nothing is rubbing, pinching, binding or at an odd angle. If there is anything that is here that says to you I have something wrong please let me know, thanks in advance.

shifterdiagram.jpg

SN850075-1.jpg

SN850074-1.jpg

SN850220.jpg

3/4th shift lever is upside down.

Attachments

• Hart Basketball 009.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 1,156
I was lead to believe on a overdrive it was it was suppose to be upside down?

That's correct. 3-4 is installed upside down compared to a standard A833.

I see you are using the levers from a Non OD 833. One of the levers will not interchange between the a Non OD and an OD. It is the lever with that has the slot at a 45 degree angle. The angles are opposite between OD and Non OD. Sorry don't remember which one but I believe only one lever has a slot at a 45 degeree angle.

-
Back