Production numbers

-

A 360 Duster

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone can tell me where to find production numbers of cars built exactly like my 1972 Dart Swinger "Special" the fender tag says it came with an engine that was not available that model year. I know it is rare, I just dont know if that makes it valuable. I am trying to determine how I should put it back together, stock or modernized

What is the VIN? Are you sure you used a correct VIN decoder? There is some bogus info out ther and the designations changed over the years....what engine is in your car?

What is the VIN? Are you sure you used a correct VIN decoder? There is some bogus info out ther and the designations changed over the years....what engine is in your car?

I was wondering if anyone can tell me where to find production numbers of cars built exactly like my 1972 Dart Swinger "Special" the fender tag says it came with an engine that was not available that model year. I know it is rare, I just dont know if that makes it valuable. I am trying to determine how I should put it back together, stock or modernized
What's the vin

vin says it came with a 318, fender tag and build sheet both say it came with the 230 horsepower 318 which was discontinued the year before. it's hemi orange with a 3 speed on the floor with chrome road wheels, it's essentially a 340 Dart without the 340

vin says it came with a 318, fender tag and build sheet both say it came with the 230 horsepower 318 which was discontinued the year before. it's hemi orange with a 3 speed on the floor with chrome road wheels, it's essentially a 340 Dart without the 340
If it was an early model year 72, it's not uncommon to find that. And there's really no difference in the 318s, they simply changed the horsepower from gross to net hp.

Vin is LL23G2B135675

thanks for that info, I would still like to know how many there were
That's the problem, I have seen the number over 19,000 and as low as 12,000, but a lot of them were 6 cyl,I mean exact number of cars the same color, engine, trans, interior etc, no one seems to know

That's the problem, I have seen the number over 19,000 and as low as 12,000, but a lot of them were 6 cyl,I mean exact number of cars the same color, engine, trans, interior etc, no one seems to know
There was 115,000 slant 6 dart swingers sold in 1972, that 17440 number is only the 318 swinger special cars. Total dart production across all engines and models was 157,000 for 1972, allpar is usually very accurate

OK, thanks for that, I 'm sure there aren't that many with 3 on the floor in Hemi Orange, with a black houndstooth interior and chrome magnum 500/ road wheels, didn't know if it's rare valuable or rare nobody cares, I have the same issue with my 74 Plymouth Trailduster. I dont want to ruin it if it matters

Road wheels weren't available in small bolt pattern. Your 72 would have come w/ SBP wheels from the factory.

Enjoy your car & make it your own IMO

I found the percentage that were Hemi Orange and did the math, there were 1,220. thanks for the input

OK, thanks for that, I 'm sure there aren't that many with 3 on the floor in Hemi Orange, with a black houndstooth interior and chrome magnum 500/ road wheels, didn't know if it's rare valuable or rare nobody cares, I have the same issue with my 74 Plymouth Trailduster. I dont want to ruin it if it matters
I have the build sheet that says otherwise, thats why I am trying to find out more bout it

I had more wrong info. they were rally wheels

If it was an early model year 72, it's not uncommon to find that. And there's really no difference in the 318s, they simply changed the horsepower from gross to net hp.
that is not correct, the pistons were changed in 72 to lower compression, hp and emissions

that is not correct, the pistons were changed in 72 to lower compression, hp and emissions
Yes/No. 318s were ALWAYS low compression, they dropped them a couple decimal points in 1973. But you're being a 72, there's no difference between a 71 and a 72 318. or any 1967-1972 318 for that matter.

"All horsepower ratings before 1970 are gross measurements (without accessories and such). Ratings after model year 1971 are net measurements and are lower even for the identical engine from the years before." *Allpar

"The 318 LA, released in 1967, featured a 3.91 inch bore and a 3.312 stroke. Compression was a respectable 9.2:1 but would later be dropped from 9.2:1 to 8.6:1 for the 1973 model year to meet tightening emissions standards. Due to a change from gross to net horsepower ratings, horsepower would drop from 230 hp gross in 1967 to 150 hp net in 1971 despite the 318 otherwise not changing. The 318 would remain unchanged from 1973 to 1977, when further tightening emissions would result in a slight horsepower drop from 150 hp net to 145 hp net." *Book, Small Block Mopar Engines.

Yes/No. 318s were ALWAYS low compression, they dropped them a couple decimal points in 1973. But you're being a 72, there's no difference between a 71 and a 72 318. or any 1967-1972 318 for that matter.

"All horsepower ratings before 1970 are gross measurements (without accessories and such). Ratings after model year 1971 are net measurements and are lower even for the identical engine from the years before." *Allpar

"The 318 LA, released in 1967, featured a 3.91 inch bore and a 3.312 stroke. Compression was a respectable 9.2:1 but would later be dropped from 9.2:1 to 8.6:1 for the 1973 model year to meet tightening emissions standards. Due to a change from gross to net horsepower ratings, horsepower would drop from 230 hp gross in 1967 to 150 hp net in 1971 despite the 318 otherwise not changing. The 318 would remain unchanged from 1973 to 1977, when further tightening emissions would result in a slight horsepower drop from 150 hp net to 145 hp net." *Book, Small Block Mopar Engines.
Ok, fair enough, I guess it still depends on who you ask, my info about the piston change for the 72 model year came from Valiant .org. thanks for your input, I guess all Mopar guys like to think their car is special

Ok, fair enough, I guess it still depends on who you ask, my info about the piston change for the 72 model year came from Valiant .org. thanks for your input, I guess all Mopar guys like to think their car is special
I think that's just car guys in general lol. That said, I tend to lead more credence to a published book thats been vetted for decades than what some guy(s) on a forum say. Only way to know for sure is to pull the heads and take some measurements and do some math

When I first read your initial post I thought maybe you found one of the 72 340 Specials, VIN starting LL23H, with which you would have had one of only 65 cars. To bad but it still can be a great ride. There might still be some of them out there and its important that as many people as possible know that they exist and keep there eyes peeled they could still be sitting out there somewhere, mine sat in my garage for thirty years the rarity unknown even to me.

When I first read your initial post I thought maybe you found one of the 72 340 Specials, VIN starting LL23H, with which you would have had one of only 65 cars. To bad but it still can be a great ride. There might still be some of them out there and its important that as many people as possible know that they exist and keep there eyes peeled they could still be sitting out there somewhere, mine sat in my garage for thirty years the rarity unknown even to me.
I wish I had one of those and I'm jealous that you have one. I plan on making it a great ride, just have to get rid of a Duster or two first.only so much room in a garage and hours in a day, thanks for the input and take care of that Dart

-
Back