Proform Rollers

-

speedyb-cc

speedyb
Reaction score
Anyone had experience or know someone who has used the proform alum rollers?
Mancini carries them so one would think? they are ok.

Aaaaacccckkkk!!!! Stay very far away from these. The rollers on tips are not hardened and flatten out and the adusters are soft. I've seen these rockers self-destruct.

I use them for almost a year now with out a problem except one adjuster backed itself off (my fault not the rockers) with out any damage and I twist my motor past 7 grand all the time.

I use them for almost a year now with out a problem except one adjuster backed itself off (my fault not the rockers) with out any damage and I twist my motor past 7 grand all the time.

I had a very different experience with them.

Anyone else? Good or bad?

Builder I know used them to try and keep the price down on turnkey motors and ate a couple motors. Stay away.

Cheaper is not always best! There are certainly some better roller rockers out there! Personally I opted for the better BRAND! Cost more in the long run but better safe than sorry!!!!

I have them in my Dart, and so far have had no problems. My buddy uses them in budget builds for people who have mild setups, but want a roller setup. He has never had an issue..basically he thinks they are great if you are running a mild cam. My cam is only 454/475, and my springs are only slightly stffer than stock, so I doubt I will have any problems.

I haven't had any but read numerous posts on different boards where guys had trouble with them. But most guys are running pretty large cams so what superdart said might be true that they will live with a mild cam and mild spring pressures but not bigger stuff.

Ramcharger what cam kit were you running?

I'd run the stock adjustables from a 273 rather than proforms.

You have to buy pushrods anyways and the 273 rockers work really good for hydraulic grinds and mild solid stuff.

You can better spend money elsewhere in a build than on roller rockers that really don't offer a performance advantage in most cases.

Ramcharger what cam kit were you running?

On that particular build it was Comp Cams XE262 with Comps suggested springs. Not a big cam or heavy springs at all.

I'd run the stock adjustables from a 273 rather than proforms.

You have to buy pushrods anyways and the 273 rockers work really good for hydraulic grinds and mild solid stuff.

I agree!

might be a problem with a radical cam. My cam isn't that radical. I use a Lunati cam with 284*/292* and only .533/.552 lift and springs with only 330# of open pressure. But so far no probs. But I agree most people run roller rockers when they don't need too.

got these on my 451 w/ mech. roller and i`m not gonna bullshit ya. i`m nervous as a ***** in church every time i launch. my engine guy says go for it. i say ok but if this thing ***** the bed you`re building me a big stroker w/ sharps.
i made 8 passes shifting at 7200 and no boom! (yet) good luck!

They definitely work fine for hydraulic rollers under .550 - .570 lift. The slower classes at NMRA events use them w/o fail all day long.

Owner-Error can kill any rocker
when "true" pushrod length is not measured & overlooked. Exceeding the max. lift specified by the rocker manufacturer is another.

HTH-----------------------8)

Are the 273 adjustable ones something you can buy at say o'reillys?
I see the ductile iron are $300 a set, not much savings over $220 for the proform rollers.
Bruce

Are the 273 adjustable ones something you can buy at say o'reillys?
I see the ductile iron are $300 a set, not much savings over $220 for the proform rollers.
Bruce

Look around on e-bay. 273 rockers pop up all the time for 50-100.

Be careful with the 273 rockers though...that's what I originally put on my car. I DID'T use the old type banana cut rocker shafts (didn't know they existed), and even after I polished the surfaces, the used rockers ate into my rocker shaft after a few hundred miles, hence why I went to the rollers...oh well...it was a good excuse to get Chrome rocker shafts.

I run them, .505 lift cam and 6,800 rpm's, knock on wood, so far so good!

I have them on the 340 in the Duster. They have been in there
for over 2 years. No problems. Got a MP cam with 484 lift, and
rev it up to 6200 rpm's at the strip. I have not had any problems
with them. I have heard that they don't work with cams over 500
lift. Just my 2 cents worth.

sorry-but there junk! my brother bought a set and everything went wrong with them,the tips went flat,adjuster screws where tapped off center.and dont buy any KAT ones eather.8)

We had touble with the adjuster breaking and the adjuster worked loose on one. Not very pleased with them.

Not good.....havoc in the valve cover... 005.JPG

002.JPG

005.JPG

002.JPG

old thread.. but none-the-less good topic. personally, i do not trust any roller rocker other the Jessel, Harland Sharp, or RAS.
This is really a case of you get what you pay for. with cheaper chinese units like Proform, you really have to watch that the
rocker clears larger diameter valvesprings, and alot of time the roller is not centered over the valve (side to side). also, the
roller is sometimes so recessed into the arm that the side of the rocker, rather the the roller, makes contact with the
valve locks instead of the stem! they also have a tendency to fail w/o warning and tiny little pieces will be all over the engine.. not to
mention dropping the valve. same holds true for other manufactures.. but to a lesser extent. all in all if you can afford to
go with Jessel or Harland Sharp, go for it! best investment for a stable litewieght rocker. the AWESOME RAS rockers are no longer available.

-
Back