Progress stopped again-Free Money!

-

DesertRat

Leading edge boomer
Reaction score
Installing all the hardware in the doors on my 67 Notch. I thought I had bought everything I needed but the door glass front edge has a seal that clips into two holes in the glass. I have searched and googled and am coming up dry. Any advice will be much appreciated.
Cheers-DR:coffee2:

Thanks Mike, I cant continue on my path without one for each door glass. Let me know and I will buy them from you if you have them!
DR

I bought from Drive Auto Parts online 07-2014, I think 52 bucks per door.

After studying the situation I have come to the following conclusion. I have the factory guides intact and the plastic liners intact, the only thing missing is the black felt on the liners. Tomorrow I am off the the fabric store with the sewing ladies club to look for black fabric I can attach to the plastic liners with my 3M spray-on adhisive. If it works, I am back on track and putting my car together!
Cheers-DRO:)

I used the soft side of Velcro . Cut the width to what I wanted. Wrapped it like a U. That way it stayed in the channel and acted like the guide.

your car but...before you make such a decision, let me tell you about mine. I have to start with fact of common knowledge, Plastic gets brittle with age. The guide, made of plastic will break in half right through the drilled hole. This is what happened while original owner had my car. upper guide broke, upper corner of glass dropped out of the channel. I don't know if the wear in door hinges was a factor in all this. Anyway...
So, a helping hand to roll the drivers glass up down, no big deal for him.
Every time he closed the drivers door the stainless on the rear edge of that door glass scared the stainless on the quarter glass. When I bought the car, it looked awful, kind of like someone had tried to break in.
Of all the repair work involved, correcting the quarter glass damage was the most difficult part.

your car but...before you make such a decision, let me tell you about mine. I have to start with fact of common knowledge, Plastic gets brittle with age. The guide, made of plastic will break in half right through the drilled hole. This is what happened while original owner had my car. upper guide broke, upper corner of glass dropped out of the channel. I don't know if the wear in door hinges was a factor in all this. Anyway...
So, a helping hand to roll the drivers glass up down, no big deal for him.
Every time he closed the drivers door the stainless on the rear edge of that door glass scared the stainless on the quarter glass. When I bought the car, it looked awful, kind of like someone had tried to break in.
Of all the repair work involved, correcting the quarter glass damage was the most difficult part.

Great advice as always Redfish! Attached are two photos, one of the channel guides and one of the lower glass lock pushpins. The ghannel guided appear to be and good shape and have a metal pin between them. The pushpins on the other hand are done and junk. Suffice it to say that hours of searching have failed to turn up vendors for either item. Perhaps the Forum has had similar experience?
Thanks to all for chiming in-just trying to finish the car before I am hot rodding my wheelchair. DRO:)

Attachments

• guideclips.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 139
  • windowpushpins.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 123
yep those blue push pins that attach the glass to saddle are again old plastic. Once on a while knocking the center pin through instead of trying to back it out saves the pieces ( then it could break at reinstall ). so why doesn't aftermarket offer these ? No need. Such parts are only for ease of assembly anyway. A piece of good neoprene hose about 3/8 long with a 1/4 X 1 hex head bolt, 2 flat washers, 1/4 nyloc nut serves the same purpose.
This sort of hardware substitution isn't a shade tree method either. It's common practice, especially in car doors. Watch any "how to install" video on Youtube where a window regulator is replaced ( Toyota Camry for example ). You'll find the OEM heavy steel rivets are drilled out and replaced with nuts and bolts.

-
Back