Project "Chihuahua" '65 Formula S Restoration "Estilo Mexicano"

-
The body and underbody now has been sandblasted, primed, and the the fabricated "cowl corners" have been welded in place.

View attachment 1715210926

View attachment 1715210927

View attachment 1715210928

View attachment 1715210929

View attachment 1715210930

View attachment 1715210931
It doesnt look like the cowl vent standpipes stick up very far. It was my assumption that they typically stick up about 1"-1.5" and have a top lip to protect from water sloshing in the cowl from getting in.

You are correct, keep in mind that the standpipes were fabricated separately and have not been attached yet.

Update:
Now installed with the 3M panel adhesive.

DSC05262.JPG

DSC05263.JPG

Last edited:
Update:
Cowl repairs completed/painted with a coal tar epoxy. My thanks to fabricator "Gilberto." The only problem with the final coating is that I went over the wet paint too many times with the roller which caused a "grainy/non-slip" finish instead of the preferred slick surface.

DSC05284.JPG

DSC05285.JPG

DSC05310.JPG

DSC05312.JPG

Gilberto is a bad *** fabricator.
It looks Muy Bueno !!! As does all of his fab work so far. You picked a very talented gentleman to fix your fish.

The way thats fixed, and sealed the rust problem is all but eliminated. In the dry climate you live in, it wont ever come back. In a northern climate it will still hold up well. Though up there most of these oldies are garage queens during the winters and rightfully so.

Last edited:
We all must realize too that back in the day when our classics were built the manufacturers expected them to last at most 10 years. Typically 5 years for the first owners, then 5 years through subsequent owners, and these oldies were concidered worn out junk at 100K miles. The fact that many of them have actually survived into their 50s and 60s as far as years is testament to the way they were actually built back then. This new stuff they are making i dont think will last like this ol stuff has. The electrical issues and complexity as they get older is going to kill em off. The charm with our rides i think lies in the simplicity of construction along with the style and beauty of the designs the designers and engineers built into them. This may be why the young crowd who werent even born when these were built is still seeking them out to rebuild.

Last edited:
Where are you buying the coal tar epoxy.
I have never heard of it.

Five minutes from the house there is a Mexican chain paint store called "Prisa." My sandblaster down the street (who repairs a few boats) recommended it.

coal tar instructions1.png

Last edited:
Update: hole underneath battery tray. fotos: #1 & #2 from engine compartment #3 from inside driver's side fenderwell.

DSC05301.JPG

DSC05354.JPG

DSC05355.JPG

Last edited:
Update: perforations in firewall driver's side/fender well. fotos: #1 from engine compartment #2 from fender well #3 from driver's firewall (inside) #4 upper center of foto shows a couple of the perforations before repair (if you look closely)

DSC05356.JPG

DSC05357.JPG

DSC05358.JPG

DSC05016.JPG

Last edited:
Update: Upper cowl finally attached (3M panel adhesive and a few spot welds). It will take some dynamite sticks to remove it next time.

DSC05423.JPG

Update: Water tested the cowl after attachment and found a few drips along the forward firewall side. The problem lied in a few of the holes that were left after drilling out the factory spot welds (the holes did not all get completely filled in by the 3M panel adhesive). I marked the problem areas with a blue felt tip. I could not seal the drips from the inside, so I applied a little more of the panel adhesive from the outside and hoped for the best.

DSC05469.JPG

DSC05470.JPG

DSC05471.JPG

DSC05475.JPG

Update: Now about six weeks after attempting to plug a few minor drips in the newly re-attached cowl I finally got around to another water test. I did not locate any more drips this time, only observed water pouring out the factory corner exits. (see the tiny water fall in the photo).

DSC05657.JPG

Last edited:
Nacho, the guy who originally started the paint, then broke his foot, then went to work elsewhere, could not be coaxed back to complete the job. Miguel, an old timer that the shop owner hired previously was called back and is now employed to take over.

Last edited:
Wow I love your build and your fabricator is fantastic. Can't wait to see more, keep the pictures coming.
:thumbsup:

Want quality work go to mexico, these guys know what they are doing, get on it and get it done period!!! Really good stuff!

-
Back