Project "HARD TIME"

-

FJ5

Reaction score
I'll start this build thread with what I've done since getting Hard Time home. Spent quite a bit of time looking the car over. It is amazing what you can see in good lighting when you are not blinded by excitement. Really nothing big just a few areas that need touching up or a little more polishing.

So took the fenders off and cleaned hood springs, then gave them a good lubing. Adjusted hood latch which got everything back to nice and lined up.

Took hood scoops and interior trim to him today. I didn't plan on this today, he called early this morning told me I needed to bring the hood scoops back because the guy helping him buffed through the clear coat. I didn't even notice it. I thought it was pretty cool of him to ask me to bring them back so he could fix them.

Tomorrow I will pull the k frame and do some welding and more cleaning. It is covered in dust and overspray and who knows what else.

My Son has named the car Howard. According to him it hasn't earned a female name yet. Lol

Who is this guy, and what gives him the right to post a restoration thread! :protest:

:D :prayer:

Bring it!

I'll start this build thread with what I've done since getting Hard Time home. Spent quite a bit of time looking the car over. It is amazing what you can see in good lighting when you are not blinded by excitement. Really nothing big just a few areas that need touching up or a little more polishing.

So took the fenders off and cleaned hood springs, then gave them a good lubing. Adjusted hood latch which got everything back to nice and lined up.

Took hood scoops and interior trim to him today. I didn't plan on this today, he called early this morning told me I needed to bring the hood scoops back because the guy helping him buffed through the clear coat. I didn't even notice it. I thought it was pretty cool of him to ask me to bring them back so he could fix them.

Tomorrow I will pull the k frame and do some welding and more cleaning. It is covered in dust and overspray and who knows what else.

:la: OK, let me see if I've got this straight....

:brave: After finally being released, you are planning on taking the hood scoops back to the place 'Howard' was incarcerated for a year and a half. :clock:

](*,) You have to excuse me but I'm starting to envision your wife wearing fishnet stockings, black stilettos, and holding a whip.

:violent1:

:la: OK, let me see if I've got this straight....

:brave: After finally being released, you are planning on taking the hood scoops back to the place 'Howard' was incarcerated for a year and a half. :clock:

](*,) You have to excuse me but I'm starting to envision your wife wearing fishnet stockings, black stilettos, and holding a whip.

:violent1:

Have you been looking in my window? Lol

Pulled the rear end and ss springs that came in the car. I just don't like the rear up look. I want Howard to set nice and level.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdFLPn30dvQ"]Kevin Bacon - Fraternity Paddle - YouTube[/ame]

No, that's the way I envision everyone's wives. LOL
friend of mine, used to say he would get up in the morning , drink a quart of motor oil-and run to chickasha LOL good to see another okie on here------bob
---------------------------BOOMER SOONER----------------------

friend of mine, used to say he would get up in the morning , drink a quart of motor oil-and run to chickasha LOL good to see another okie on here------bob

Even folks in Nebraska miss Switzer.

Where in ok are you?

Put on the lower control arm plates. My welding skills are improving, but not good enough to post on the web. ( you know your welds are ugly when they need bondo). Now I'm gonna look up how to put a tow strap loop on the front of the k member. I'll also touch up some of the factory welds. Surely my welds are not worse than theirs.

Made the tow strap loops out of the old 7 1/4 rear end U-bolts (piece of cake). I ran out of wire on the MIG so I just cut the U-bolts to clear the sway bar and bolted them to the front of the k- member. I'll post a pic in a little bit. I will clean it up some more. I think I'll POR 15 it tomorrow.

I ordered the US Cartool Subframe connectors, Leaf Spring relocation kit, and Mini Tub kit today. I have change direction since sending it off to paint so I'm doing this in reverse. I didn't name it "Hard Time" for nothing.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 815
Okay I'm back. Been gone a few days. I've got the leaf spring relocation completed. I have to say the quality of the US Car tool stuff is excellent. Tech support is top notch. Chris at USCT answered all my questions with the patients of Job. Got everything welded in nice and square. Next on the list is the minitub. (sure wish I would have done this before paint). I just have to be so careful that it is really hard to work very fast when your around all that pretty green paint.

Okay, with summer and baseball with the kid, and doing summer honey doos for the wife I've finally finished the mini tub. I put the rear end in for the mock up. I went ahead and used the SS springs for now.

Today I scored a Hughes Performance Tranmission 727 transmission, model # 22-2F, with full manual valve body. According to Hughes it's good for 600 HP. It's got about 50 or 60 passes on it.

I pulled the pan and changed the filter today. All looked good. I put.new seals in the front and rear while it was handy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 650
Another pic. I used POR 15 to cover up the bare metal. I'll have the coating re-done after while.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 682
Did you fit your rear seat yet? We had to modify the one in our Charger after doing the mini-tubs.

No I haven't tried to fit the seat yet. I know I'll have to move the brackets that are welded to the inner tubs just didn't seem to do it while I was at it for some reason.

We used an air grinder to cut the seat springs. The red dotted line is approximately where the seat back originally extended to. It was easy to re-attach the wire springs with new weld.

View attachment 1.jpgView attachment 1b.jpg

Without the upholstery on we were able to fit the seat frame in the car and see exactly where to make our cuts. Until we'd pulled the vinyl and padding off it was hard to tell where it was hitting but we knew it wouldn't fit all the way back in place.

View attachment 10.jpg

After making the frame fit we sanded it all down to clean metal and poof canned some black on it. - Fit like a glove.

View attachment 2.jpg

The upholstery shop had no problem recovering the seat frame. We were careful not to destroy the old vinyl so that it would still be usable as a pattern. It's a little 'baggy' down in the bottom corners of the seat back because the original pattern extended farther. But it's hidden when the seat is in place in the car.

View attachment 9.jpg

Thanks for the seat tips. I'll add that to my list of things to look out for.
I'm picking up the new wiper motor and bushings today. Thanks to FABO and the excellent write up on how to do the wiper rebuild with adding grease zerks this will be a piece of cake.

I also ordered a master cylinder for a 74 barracuda for my 70 dart as this is the master cylinder the guy at engineered components said is the one I need for my disc brake conversion. I hope he's correct.
Any input on the master cylinder would be greatly appreciated.

We used an air grinder to cut the seat springs. The red dotted line is approximately where the seat back originally extended to. It was easy to re-attach the wire springs with new weld.View attachment 1714754400View attachment 1714754401Without the upholstery on we were able to fit the seat frame in the car and see exactly where to make our cuts. Until we'd pulled the vinyl and padding off it was hard to tell where it was hitting but we knew it wouldn't fit all the way back in place.View attachment 1714754402After making the frame fit we sanded it all down to clean metal and poof canned some black on it. - Fit like a glove.View attachment 1714754403The upholstery shop had no problem recovering the seat frame. We were careful not to destroy the old vinyl so that it would still be usable as a pattern. It's a little 'baggy' down in the bottom corners of the seat back because the original pattern extended farther. But it's hidden when the seat is in place in the car.View attachment 1714754404
seats turned out nice the car is looking good too!! What are you doing for door panels?:glasses7:

Got some of the fire wall stuff put on. I ordered all new brake lines and fuel lines from inline tube. Top quality stuff I might add. However they seem to have sent me the rear lines for a 7 1/4 rear end.

I mini tubbed the car, now the new fuel line hits the tub and won't fit where it was from the factory. What did some of you do to make the fuel line fit with the mini tub?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 517
-
Back