project incouragment

-
dont add up the reciepts.... tell me bout it i did that the other day ...omg i got 2400 bucks in the cuda and it dont even run now lol

keep track of the money I spent???????
I cant even keep track of the parts I have bought !!!!!!

yup and that all that's there the back half. not much left of that thing now it's been patch metal for the dart. mostly rust even the door jams have rust in it,but it does have good rear frame rails which I'll save.
so i take it the lower 1/4s are junk ?

bought my car in 1993 and drove it for a few years as a slant 6 auto fun car that wasn't too badook it apart in 95 and for the next 10 years bought parts, got stuff restored or replaced to build what I have today

It is very hard for a young person to spend the money on a hobby car when LIFE is so demanding and cost so much.

Take the offer from your Mopar people close to you to help out. Don't try to make a show race car unless you have DEEP POCKETS

So many do what you have done, buy a car, disassemble without a good plan or realistic idea of what it cost to build the car you want.

Forget wanting to BEAT the boss, depending on what SUB he has, some were 12 sec cars, speed cost and keeps costing

Build what you can afford, take a evening class to learn what you need to know and do it yourself, but this will take many years to complete

Do like Chip Foose does, make the plan, STICK TO THE PLAN, draw and outline the plan, look at it daily and even if it is just cleaning some parts do a little every day.

I sold my 67 Dart hardtop to a kid and it was to be a father son project. He was in school and not motivated in the real work but wanted the cosmetic stuff.

Get the mechanical stuff done, then try to get it to look PRETTY

View attachment lowMuseum.jpg

Have an idea of how much money was spent, way more than I want to admit

Man... my project is going on for so long that I don't even call it a project anymore! :shock:

The problem with me is that I bit off more than I could chew. Way too ambitious. If I could do it over, I would have made the changes gradually. I also think when your car reaches the point of where it can't be driven, the problem starts. You know the story... well, while I have the motor out, I'll do ____ (fill in the blank). That's went it snowballed for me.

So, to answer the question, I reached the point of no return around 1995. An estimate of $$$ is around 35 - 40K including the vehicle cost and I still have a long way to go. :violent1:

As you get older, your priorities change, so throw that into the mix as well.

Moral of the story. I would rather be driving my Duster than looking at it.

032602-Duster-823-Wendevy-2.jpg

So almost one year ago I bought my first real project car. A 72 dodge dart swinger with a tired 318 a 904 tranny and a 7 1/4 rear end. My intentions for the car is to make it a saturday night special.

A solid platform & good choice.

I purchased the car for $2k and stupidly spent another $1k on dress up MP valve covers and air cleaner, all autometer gauges and other things that werent needed yet in the build.

? stupidly? ... Nay say I ! hell man ya'll didn't buy a prius....& ya'll got enough smarts to avoid the parts pimps after one ...mmm... interaction (lol)

The car has rust on the driver rear quarter panel, the drip line and a tiny spot on the driver lower door jam. I want to have a clean car and with my 22 year old mine I want it now.

IMHO a completely normal American (lol) " by all that is holy I want it now"
Again , contextually, You have Detroit Iron to start with.

I do understand the funds are not there. since I owned the car I pulled the motor out of the car started to clean up the frame for a spring relo kit and have been on the man hunt for a 8 3/4 rearend. I sanded down the hood to make it flat black as well. but everytime I go into my shop and look at my car wanting to work on it I cant find anything to do cause money is tight.

Hahaha, (no lack of respect intended or implied), The beauty of no $
is a marvelous thing. by that I mean the interaction/ info gathering/
'found this part today whoo-hoo' is all part of the correct mindset
(which You have)... Not to wax metaphysical, the car chose You!

What I am wondering is how much time you guys waited to complete your project and how much you have tied up in your cars?

Time ? hahahaha, < laughing at Myself... time? bought My 67 in /78, 4 paint jobs,2 80% ground up restos, 3 girlfriend wrecks & 3 powertrain configs later...I still & always own My Fish. period.

And words of incouragment would also be nice. It eats me alive when I see people on saturday nights cruising there hot rods and im sitting around twiddling my thumbs with very little results. thank you.

Hmmmm, 'words of encouragement'.
" the stigma of genius is to suffer the reproach of lesser men "

Genius= choosing Detroit Iron--- why the hell do ya'll think every other
car maker on the planet wants to supplant ' technology' for good ol
tire frying , ground pounding, gear banging, soil your shorts hot nasty speed!!

Sorry for the long winded bla-bla cowboyup.
You Young MaMopar Guns are near & dear to this Old racers heart,

" lots of engines on the planet make brutal horsepower, the most brutal
however are HEMI".

I actually have two hobbies and have a really hard time keeping going sometimes.
I enjoy restoring, modding and riding older Honda air cooled four strokes as well as my dart project.
My name "TrailBeast" was because of this XR500R.
The one that says "CR" on it is actually a XR200R motor built into a CR frame.
We had to completely rebuild the downtube on the frame and make it a single 2x2 downtube to accomodate the XR motor and exhaust.
My kids rode that one for years, and that was years before the CRF's came out.

Attachments

• 500.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 73
  • 500a.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 200.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 83
Been where you're at...but it's still hard to keep the chin up sometimes. Best way I've found to stay motivated is to help other people with their projects on an "I'll help you now if you help me later" deal. After a while, good things will come back to you-deals "falling in your lap" etc. Don't be afraid to ask for help here; some really great people here. Good luck, and keep plugging away.

i have taken all of your advise to heart and have been working on the car. However one this is still alittle discouraging. the drip rails on the car are toast and I cant find any new ones in year one or others. Any ideas where to get some or what to do?

-
Back