Proof God Loves Mopar!

-

strange246

Reaction score
Maybe someone can rationalize it but, after going and finding a new rear main seal, 2 sets of oil pan gaskets and drinking myself stupid thinking about pulling the motor and dropping the pan etc. to change out the rear main seal, I start it up last night and again today, bring it to operating temp and low and behold, not one drip from the rear main!!! NOT ONE! Flexplate, bottom of the pan, everything is dry! Only thing I can think of is that the motor sat built on the stand and in the car for 4 years since I assembled it, maybe the seal had dried out some?? Also the head gasket didnt puff one bit of steam either, where as when I broke the cam in, it was giving a puff of steam every 30 seconds or so? So whatever the reason...

Ryan

Often the rear main wont leak when still at idle yet it will toss a quart in 500 miles on the highway. Either way good luck.
If you do go back into it be sure to use a dab of rtv on the rear main cap mating surfaces. The machining may look like its smooth enough to seal but its not.

on the rear main I stagger the seal a lil bit,maybe a 1/4 inch and as redfish said a lil dab of sealer works wonders

Thanks, if it leaks after I take it for a ride I'll pull the motor and redo it, but when I just warmed it up earlier, I cranked it to 2,000 rpms and left it for about 5-6 minutes and still nothing...

Ryan

-
Back