Proper I.D. for T/A head?

-

rumblefish360

I have escaped the EVIL Empire State!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Here, in this ad;
Ad removed, sorry
list's a 915 head with the "J" on it. Weren't T/A heas X heads with moved pushrod holes?

Yea, the casting numbers are a general run of the head. I see a "J" on it and know that the T/A head came with a "X" head. After that..............

TA heads were 915 heads. Never seen a 915 head with an X cast in it. Might be out there, never seen one personally.

TA heads are not X heads....same casting number as J heads but different part number do the the relocated pushrods...

you will have to comfirm the pushrod holes...

TA heads are not X heads....same casting number as J heads but different part number do the the relocated pushrods...

you will have to comfirm the pushrod holes...

Now that there is some good info!!! Thanks 70aarcuda, Geof

X and J's had the same casting number, right? 915?

The E-bay ad was removed, he sold the parts. The pushrod holes looked normal, not moved, but it was hard to see. No intake port shots. That would have been the deal sealer for me.

Ahhhh, thank ya there Tony.

I told the E-bay seller that they were "J" heads... due to the large J on it. He made mention of a parts book that many of us probably have. By the time I got back to him, the heads sold for over a grand and change.

Would anybody have a picture of a T/A head and with a decent shot of the pushrod holes vs a regular head handy?

Call me stupid but I thought that TA heads were U not j or x?

I didn't know if a letter even came on them. After all, a one year head isn't exactly around a whole lot. (That's why I made this post)

j and u are the same head...i think mine actually have a U on them...

found this at www.allpar.com

Some of the 1970 340 Six-Pack engines had heads with a U or O casting letter in addition to the J, but they were still the same part number head (the T/A head had the intake valve pushrod holes drilled in a offset location).

and yes..the head will say 360 on it....since they are J heads...

-
Back