proper way to set index when changing speedometer gera

-

gotdust57@yahoo

Reaction score
i have to change the pinion gear for speedometer of 904 trans because of changing tire height, how do i set the index or whatever its called that the gear sits in on side of trans, i think there is certain position i have to have it in. thanks

The aluminum adapter that the gear slides into has 3 sets of numbers on the outside that correlate with what speedometer gear you have. By that set of numbers is a notch that you align with a notch on the extension housing. I always start by installing it with the highest set of numbers aligned cause that gives you the most space for the speedo gear to engage easily into the gear on the tailshaft then I rotate it to the set of numbers that has the speedo gear number count your using. In other words if your using a 36 tooth speedo gear rotate it to the set of numbers where 36 falls in. If you need a picture just ask and I can take one tomorrow.

Once you get the pinion out you'll notice index markings which have #'s next to them.

Your new gear's number of teeth will match one of these or fall within one of those ranges on the pinion.

That index mark which matches your new speedo gear aligns to the mark on the tailshaft housing.

If I remember right lol...

-
Back