proportioning valve

-

rusty

Reaction score
I am switching my 69 Dart to disc but staying manual,Have everything but the prop valve.Question is is a power disc valve the same as a manual disc valve? anybody know? Thanks,Todd

the real question is, Is there a new one available anywhere? mine is malfunctioning and I would like a new one.

the real question is, Is there a new one available anywhere? mine is malfunctioning and I would like a new one.

Inline tube has new ones.
They are called distribution valves by the way.
Not Proportion valve.
To the original poster.
Grab one off any year disc drum car, and your good to go.

Grab one off any year disc drum car, and your good to go.
Maybe not. I understand they are specific to the each car design, maybe including the engine option. Maybe get one from the same year group as yours, with the same size caliper pistons and rear cylinders.

Sometime in the early 70s they changed to the "Texas" shaped valve (dist and prop), and that is the same thing all the way into the 80s on RWD cars, and 90s on trucks.

Are you upgrading to late model disc from drum? If so you will need the late model prop valve & may have to get the front brake line kit for to match it. The dart was 111" wb from 67-76 & 67-9 valiant,67-9 cuda,70-76 duster,dart sport,demon were 108". I chose finelines for my kit & for a few $ more ordered stainless steel lines. I am VERY happy with that choice. I did that swap on my 67 Valiant & couldn't be happier.

In '69 the drum brakes did not have proportioning valves, only combination valves that all the brake lines route to. The disc brake cars in '69 had a combination valve and were supposed to have a proportioning valve back by the fire wall on the frame rail. If you get reproduction rear brake line for a disc brake car it will be two pieces: one to go from combination valve to proportioning valve, and a longer one to go from proportioning valve all the to the rear axle flex hose.

Put some 7/8" wheel cylinders on the rear too to dampen that rear wheel lock up...

-
Back