PRW Rocker Arms

-

DusTed74

Reaction score
A buddy of mine is looking a set of PRW aluminum rocker arms. Has anyone here ever used these or know if they're good or bad?

Thanks...................Ted

SS are ****. The last 4-5 sets I ordered were like this, they all got sent back and I will not waste my time with them again. They never got back with me on the issue and never fixed it. They told me "Don't worry about it, they will wear in". HA

Attachments

• PRW rpm head.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 960
  • PRW stock head.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 960
Wear in... More like break and trash something lol.... Ill stick with my old crane ductile rockers... Dads motor has 440 source roller rockers and i had to do alotttttt of clearancing for the retainers... Cheap roller rockers seem to be hit or miss

Had a set on my small block and they were garbage! Will never even consider using them again. I bought a set of comp ultra pro magnums and they are 100 times better.

no no no no step away from the rocker arms put hands back in pockets look away. no run away. stainless ones are junk. adjusting studs are not true and will break. went through 3 sets then i just fixed the problem myself. they are also very noisy. i should have just spentthemoney on better ones in the first place

Hum... They must have went to crap cause I used a set on a 418 build that sat nice and flat unlike the ones Mike pictured. Used a pretty stout solid cam and 350 spring pressure over the nose and 4-1/2 yrs. later their still going strong.

Hum... They must have went to crap cause I used a set on a 418 build that sat nice and flat unlike the ones Mike pictured. Used a pretty stout solid cam and 350 spring pressure over the nose and 4-1/2 yrs. later their still going strong.

Yep...never seen any of that stuff yet. I do use a lot more sb rockers than BB rockers but have had zero problems with them.
I know one of the sales guys there, I'll ask him WTF and have him send us some to look at...

PRW Stainless 1.6's on my small block. Solid Rolller .640 lift at the valve. I revv the dog **** out of it too on the Juice. They have seen 7200+ Rpm , clean and never missed a beat. They hold the valve adjustment very good as well. I drive this car everywhere.... Hundreds of miles in 1 outing, Freeway etc with 4.30 gears, humming along! Lol

I do however change my oil often... Good clean oil always.

All I know is, I know what brands I have heard NO bad things about AT ALL. If I ever get a chance to build another anything, it will be one of those brands I use. It's crazy to spend several thousand on the engine only to top it off with something questionable that can come apart and fall DOWN on top of everything. To me somebody doing that has to be having a down syndrome moment.

PRW is looking into this problem as we speak...

Yup, that's what they told me a year ago. After calling and calling and calling to get some answers, I gave up on them. Plus they went thru 2 or 3 reps in that time, never got the same guy twice. Even after I sent pics and verified that 60 out of 64 rockers were bad that I had, they still didn't see a problem. Literally told me not to worry as it would "wear in". Of course it had to be "my valves". I test fit them on 5 or 6 different heads, got the same results every time. Put a set of Hughes rockers on every valve I test fit the PRW's on and they fit perfect. Bought a set about 4 months ago, took 2 rockers out to test fit, same damn problem. I have a business to run, and I have no time for parts and parts suppliers that dont fit/work right. They NEVER bothered to get back with me, and it took them MONTHS to refund my money after I sent them back. I guess Im just not Popular enough for them to care. I don't like the way they do business or treat their retailers, so Im done with them altogether.

Shaun at PRW tells me they had a run of rockers that were not true from the roller tip to the bushing they ride on such as MRL showed in the above pic...they say they took care of it and I have not seen this with the SB rockers we use.
I'm having them build us a kit for the Indy TA small block head using the 1.7 BB rockers so if there is a problem I'll work with them to get it fixed...like I said earlier I've used maybe 40-50 sets of these (95% small block) and never broke one, nor had any calls back from customers having issues with them.
I've had trouble with every rocker arm company out there at one point or another for what that's worth..LOL!
I too have quit doing business with some vendors for poor customer service or no customer service so I know how Mike feels...
Brian

Shaun at PRW tells me they had a run of rockers that were not true from the roller tip to the bushing they ride on such as MRL showed in the above pic...they say they took care of it.
Thanks for checking with PRW. I would be very curious to know what "they took care of it" means. Did they call in any and all suspect dealer stock to check and correct it or is the buyer still taking a huge chance of getting a bad set? Also wondering (although certainly not your responsibility) if you mentioned the problems that a major builder like Mike was having with no call backs or response. Maybe they should log on here and explain the situation in more detail. I would really like to be able to order their product with confidence.

Thanks for checking with PRW. I would be very curious to know what "they took care of it" means. Did they call in any and all suspect dealer stock to check and correct it or is the buyer still taking a huge chance of getting a bad set? Also wondering (although certainly not your responsibility) if you mentioned the problems that a major builder like Mike was having with no call backs or response. Maybe they should log on here and explain the situation in more detail. I would really like to be able to order their product with confidence.

I was told they sent him more rockers and he said they were also bad and that was the last communication...I don't know what actually happened, and I prefer to stay out of that!
I use and sell these rockers and have not seen these problems, so I'm just giving my experience here using them...I certainly understand both sides and choose not to take sides as I've been where Mike is a few times.

I was told they sent him more rockers and he said they were also bad and that was the last communication...I don't know what actually happened, and I prefer to stay out of that!
I use and sell these rockers and have not seen these problems, so I'm just giving my experience here using them...I certainly understand both sides and choose not to take sides as I've been where Mike is a few times.

I think that pretty much matches what he said. Hopefully they have gotten it right.

I have used the PRW alloy rockers and not had the problem Mike had. I did have trouble with the adjusting screw cups not receding into the rocker body as they should. I received excellent customer service in getting replacements for the defective rockers.

Since that time I have tried the Comp Cams ProMagnum shaft mounted rockers with Hughes Engines hold down kits and ran a 1.57" diameter spring. Even though that combination is a little more expensive, if I'm going to use a non-aluminum, non-roller fulcrum, I'll be using the Comp/Hughes combination.

"if I'm going to use a non-aluminum, non-roller fulcrum"

Good info. That's the direction I'm looking to go in.

I have used the PRW alloy rockers and not had the problem Mike had. I did have trouble with the adjusting screw cups not receding into the rocker body as they should. I received excellent customer service in getting replacements for the defective rockers.

Since that time I have tried the Comp Cams ProMagnum shaft mounted rockers with Hughes Engines hold down kits and ran a 1.57" diameter spring. Even though that combination is a little more expensive, if I'm going to use a non-aluminum, non-roller fulcrum, I'll be using the Comp/Hughes combination.

My only complaint about the comp rocker is they only have a 1.5 ratio...it just sucks to spend the kind of money these rockers cost only to have 1.5 ratio....this is 2015! Can't we get more choices than this??
This is why we are working on some kind of head/rocker combo using Indy's TA head...BB rockers, 1.7 ratio, very good power potential for a lot less money than W style offerings.

Then simply choose a cam with the lift that you would have had with 1.6

Brian used them on my 410 and tho they are a little noisy at times the only problem I have had in the 25k KM I have on them is 1 of the adjusters chipped a little on the edge , it would be nice if I could just buy a replacement without buying a whole lifter but it doesn't hurt anything as it is so it can wait until the refresh happens sometime in the next 25k km .

Brian used them on my 410 and tho they are a little noisy at times the only problem I have had in the 25k KM I have on them is 1 of the adjusters chipped a little on the edge , it would be nice if I could just buy a replacement without buying a whole lifter but it doesn't hurt anything as it is so it can wait until the refresh happens sometime in the next 25k km .

Hydraulic Cam?

Mine are with Solid Roller... Mine are quite, actually very quite.

Then simply choose a cam with the lift that you would have had with 1.6

Not always possible...what do you do when you need a hyd. roller setup to RPM well above 6000rpm and need over .600 lift to make the power you need? Yes 10-15HP difference between 1.5 and 1.6 ratios from our experience...you can only run so much lobe lift before you have oiling issues.

-
Back