PST steering

-

dartdog74

Reaction score
hey my brothers of mopar! i am thinking about installing the pst 20:1 into my swinger. Any info on purchase/install would be much appreciated. Also, i heard fabo members get 10% off on purchase. Comments welcome! Thanks

if you have manual steering already take out the old box put in the new job done
if you have power box you will need a steering column adapter
the power box is taller and has a different spline so you need a male/female spline adpater that fits the manual box and is long enough to reach the pot coupler or rag joint coupler on your current column steering shaft

you may or may not need a new pitman arm its unlikley but you might.
they made two thickensses of sector shaft for power boxes hence two pitman armn versions

Based on input from and feedback about PST here i think you made a good choice in supplier

in both cases
tie the steering wheel into position centrally
pull the pitman arm off
undo the pinch bolt or drive out pin at the coupler
undo the box mounting bolts
pull out the box

back in with a new box is dependent on where the master spline (double width) is on the box input spline
if its not in the same place or there isn't one you have a bit more work to do.

just put the box in with it centred ( check that one of the 4 master splines on the sector aligns with the case mid point casting line)

then twist the steering column to fit the pot coupler on
then adjust the position of the steering wheel

if no master spline you need a small grinder to take off the peak of 1 spline on the input to the box thus making 1 double width trench...
connect it up and adjust wheel 1 or 2 splines at the top to get it centred

Dave

In reference to the discount

If you do an online order, add a note in the order comments that mentions your FABO screen name and the discount.
You'll not see the discount when you check out, but the invoice will reflect it. If you call to order then mention the discount and give your screen name.

Check out PST's thread in the Vendor section

Good luck

also consider 16:1
if you run 70r15 (or14) 205 fronts its not a problem
if you run big wide fronts it might be

20:1 was standard manual ratio for just about all "Not sold in America" manual steer A bodies
obviously this was in the days of standard wheels and standard width cross ply tyres.

a 16:1 is heavy with wide front radial tyres but sensible ride height, and some, not loads, of positive castor its ok at all but parking speeds....gives you a bit of a work out if you try to drive at 1 -2mph and swing the wheels lock to lock

I felt the move from 20:1 to 16:1 was great i'd expect the same level of JOY moving from 24:1 to 20:1

20:1 will probably be perfect but 16:1 is not too much in a smaller lighter car

Barracudas exported to europe 67/68/69, if they were manual steer had 20:1, thicker torsion bars and the 4 pot brakes. Someone at Chrylser recognized we had a few more corners to drive round getting from A to B out in the country. Most of us, if we try hard enough can drive 20 minutes from the city and find ourselves on a single track, grade B or C road, with blind 90* corners and adverse camber, fewer turns of the steering wheel certainly helps.

Dave

Last edited:
I run PST's 20:1 boxes in both my B-bodies, but in my lighter 70 Duster I have their 16:1. I think it is perfect in the A-body. Just something else to think about.

I replaced my original manual box with PST's 20:1 in my 1969 GTS. I am happy with it. Better response than the old one but not too hard to turn.
I would buy another one. PST is easy to deal with, and we get a discount. Replacement was straight forward, might want to check/rebuild your coupler while you are at it.

if you have manual steering already take out the old box put in the new job done
the power box is taller and has a different spline so you need a male/female spline adpater that fits the manual box and is long enough to reach the pot coupler or rag joint coupler on your current column steering shaft

they made two thickensses of sector shaft for power boxes hence two pitman armn versions

Based on input from and feedback about PST here i think you made a good choice in supplier

in both cases
pull the pitman arm off
pull out the box

back in with a new box is dependent on where the master spline (double width) is on the box input spline

just put the box in with it centred ( check that one of the 4 master splines on the sector aligns with the case mid point casting line)

if no master spline you need a small grinder to take off the peak of 1 spline on the input to the box thus making 1 double width trench...

Dave
I replaced my original manual box with PST's 20:1 in my 1969 GTS. I am happy with it. Better response than the old one but not too hard to turn.
I would buy another one. PST is easy to deal with, and we get a discount. Replacement was straight forward, might want to check/rebuild your coupler while you are at it.

in both cases
pull the pitman arm off
pull out the box

Dave

PST 16:1 manual, no issues, not difficult to drive, steer, park.
I have a 4 speed so with any parking or reversing I use the clutch to roll the car back/forth as I steer.
Goes down the road straight and true.
Note: make sure the column is sorted, top to bottom, for the best driving experience.

Thanks to all who responded regarding the steering box. Nice to have mopar crew who is willing to help out.

I'm another one with their 20:1, no complaints. I have a bug block and a little wider 225, but stickier tire and lots of castor, it's not bad at all while moving. When stationary it's pretty hard to turn, but it's the same as my old 24:1 box. No complaints, would buy it again.

In reference to the discount

If you do an online order, add a note in the order comments that mentions your FABO screen name and the discount.
You'll not see the discount when you check out, but the invoice will reflect it. If you call to order then mention the discount and give your screen name.

Check out PST's thread in the Vendor section

Good luck
thanks man i received the 10% fabo discount with my purchase at pst.

-
Back