PTFE For Fuel Line - Conductive vs Non-conductive

-

mopowers

Reaction score
For those of you who use PTFE hose for fuel line, which type did you go with, conductive or non-conductive? Where did you purchase your hose and hose ends? And how happy are you with them.

I thought all PTFE hose was created equal and just came across an article about the potential dangers of non-conductive hose. Is that a thing, or just a scare tactic?

Based on that article above, conductive is the way to go for fuel lines since it allows a path of discharge for any buildup of static electricity.

A static charge can build in the unlined hose away from the metal end fittings. Sufficient charge can arc through the hose wall to the braid that is the same potential as the fittings. A conductive liner prevents the static build up at a different rate than the fittings and braid, so there is little to no difference in voltage to cause arc through the hose wall. A minimal length of unlined ptfe hose with a carb and reasonable size pump with little to no bypass/return flow should minimize the potential charge. Black hose and nylon line have carbon which provides some conductivity. I prefer steel brake line with as little barricade hose as necessary to make connections and allow for engine movement and some slack for stress relief.

I worked at a hydraulic shop for many years we were a Parker Hannafin distributor. I built lots of fuel lines for myself and many customers. I always used the 919B static dissipating PTFE stainless Hoses.

1726755156289.png

1726755552052.png

1726755581500.png

Thanks guys. I just called several hose manufacturers, including Fragola, and what they told me was pretty interesting. All of the tech guys I talked to said they've never heard of a specific incident where non-conductive hose caused a static discharge or an issue otherwise. According to them, it's a bit of a non-issue. And this was coming from hose companies who sell the stuff. I know I've run non-conductive ptfe for years in various cars and have never had an issue.

Based on that article above, conductive is the way to go for fuel lines since it allows a path of discharge for any buildup of static electricity.
Do you guys use conductive ptfe? If so, from which manufacturer?

Thanks guys. I just called several hose manufacturers, including Fragola, and what they told me was pretty interesting. All of the tech guys I talked to said they've never heard of a specific incident where non-conductive hose caused a static discharge or an issue otherwise. According to them, it's a bit of a non-issue. And this was coming from hose companies who sell the stuff. I know I've run non-conductive ptfe for years in various cars and have never had an issue.

Do you guys use conductive ptfe? If so, from which manufacturer?
I havent

-
Back