Pulled/reinstalled slant6-won’t shift out of 1st now

-

standup303

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Yet another one for ya. I pulled my slant6/904 to paint the bay and reinstalled it. Hooked everything up exactly how it was when it was running fine.

I have to give the car about 1/2 throttle to get it to move from a stop (not much play in cable either) and it doesn’t want to shift out of 1st, it tries and tries but won’t shift.

Another possibly related issue/cause is once I hooked up the column shift linkage, the car didn’t want to start. Had to play around with the linkage and it finally turned over-I think it wasn’t fully in park or not sensing it was in park. Also, after cruising around the block I stopped the car, shifted into park, and the car still rolled like it was in neutral. I had to pull it back down into gear then into park again.

I replaced the shift shaft bushing while the trans was out, but no issues during the process.

Also, I attempted to out the old beat up dust cover on the 904 and the converter bolted mutilated it and I shut it off quick. Not sure if that has something to do with it?

Any ideas on what it could be?

Sounds like your shifter is out of adjustment. You might actually be in second not drive, thus why it rolled when you thought it was in park and having to push the gas halfway to get it to move. That would also explain why it wouldn't shift. If it was out enough you could actually be in first, not drive, and be shifting up to neutral, not park. Something could've got knocked out of wack without you noticing during the bushing change

Is it possible the kickdown linkage is adjusted way too much? Or maybe possibly the levers were reinstalled incorrectly? If the kickdown linkage is adjusted too much, it would take a lot of RPMs for it to shift out of first gear.

Is it possible the kickdown linkage is adjusted way too much? Or maybe possibly the levers were reinstalled incorrectly? If the kickdown linkage is adjusted too much, it would take a lot of RPMs for it to shift out of first gear.
My first guess.

Both the kick down and shifter adjustment points were rusted together. Finally got them loose and playing with different adjustments now. Just not sure why anything would change with the entire engine/trans going right back in the way it was. I’ll post up what I figure out. Thanks everyone.

Both the kick down and shifter adjustment points were rusted together. Finally got them loose and playing with different adjustments now. Just not sure why anything would change with the entire engine/trans going right back in the way it was. I’ll post up what I figure out. Thanks everyone.
Remember, full throttle on the gas pedal is also full open on the kickdown lever on the transmission.

I adjusted the shifter/shift lever both from neutral and that seems to work. I still have to hunt a bit to get the car into 3rd, 2nd, 1st. But it will go after playing with it for a minute. Any advice on that? Just keep messing with it?

Car is still not shifting though. I’ve played with the kickdown and tried full throttle and push the kick down all the way back and tighten. Then tried same thing and pushed the kickdown about 95% all the way back and tightened. Both had same results.

Here is a video of what the car is doing. Really aggravating since this thing ran and shifted great before I pulled it. Like I said the shifter and kickdown linkages were rusted together at the adjustment point so I would think nothing should have changed just from pulling the motor?

I’ve adjusted the kickdown and shifter linkages in every position possible. It’ll shift to 2nd but not 3rd. I’m taking it to the shop next week.

-
Back