Pulley questions:

-

bamacuda

Reaction score
I am building a 273 commando for my car. The motor is built and I am trying to put the accessories on it. I have obviously an alternator, but also power steering (being added) and need to know what pulleys I need to use. I also will later add an original A/C and need to know what pulleys needed there. Photos and descriptions along with any part numbers would be great! Thanks, FABO!

If you are adding factory AC to an early A, I've heard that the crank and water pump pulleys are unique to 65 and 66 (but not sure about that). The crank pulley has provisions for 4 belts and the water pump 2. I don't have an engine with the AC installed but can get you pictures of the 2 pulleys tomorrow. If just power steering, the crank pulley is 2 belts and WP Pulley a single and should be the same up through 69 since the PS pumps mounts the same up through 69. Hope this helps

Yes, that helps, 65 dartman! I do have a crank pulley but it appears to have a balancer in it ( rubber layer and weighted ring that has divots drilled into it for balance) but I do not have a water pump pulley with two grooves nor do I have a crank pulley with two grooves.

I have 2 complete early A set-ups and both crank pulleys have that rubber ring you describe. Since there's a separate balancer, I'm not sure what the purpose of the rubber ring is. I'll get some pictures of both pulleys this afternoonb after work.

Dartman, any pictures yet? Anyone else have a 65 273 with power steering that can snap a photo of it so I can see how to put mine on. Thanks, David

Here is the pump with the bracket. Is this some kind of bracket for an A/C car? If so, what brakets do I need if not going A/C right now?

Wow - that PS bracket is really big. The bracket I was talking about is used with and without AC (pic 1). The 2nd pic is the crank and WP pulley (think I said it was a 2 belter - my old age getting the better of me - it's a single belt deep pulley - used with the alternator. The 3rd pic is showing how they line up with the crank and WP pulleys attached - innermost is for the alternator; 2nd is for the PS and 2 outer for the AC. Hope this helps!

PS stuff 001.jpg

PS stuff 002.jpg

PS stuff 003.jpg

So if I come up with a double crank pulley, then I can use it? I think I have one of them on the way!

As long as it's about the same size as the 4 belt crank pulley and the belts line up, it should be OK. Answered your PM also.

-
Back