Pulley Troubles....

-
This is called "pulley hell".

It's best to get all the pulleys, brackets and spacers from the same donor vehicle.

AC and non AC cars got different pulleys and water pumps.

Sometimes each year got different stuff too.

This can/will make your belts not line up as well.

Mixing and matching is NOT fun.

Here's a partial list of what can be affected-

water pump
water pump pulley
fan spacer
crank pulley
alternator bracket
alternator bracket mount spacer
alternator pulley
power steering bracket
power steering pulley (although some can be pressed to adjust)
Yep. They were hard to find 20 yrs ago, let alone now.
Why I ain't selling mine. Who cares if all you can fin is a p/s non ac, one open pulley Ohhh noo. You'd be lucky af to find that even. Lol

Well, here da deal be. I'm setting this up as a non A/C engine, because I am going to add on a Sanden compressor with aftermarket brackets.

Sanden compressor with Bouchillon brackets works exactly the same as the factory compressor and brackets, except that it takes up less room for the compressor. I'll try to get some pics later.

The small block crank pulleys may work too. A single groove small block seems to possibly work with the 2 5/8 depth big block water pump pulley and single alternator? If not it's close. Will give a closer look later.

I may still have a complete set from a motor when I was mocking up my 512. They are yours if you want to pay shipping. PM me if it interest you.....

JW

Here are the pulleys on my 440. I didn't get the alternator in (it's 104 out there right now at 2pm). Still working on air cleaner mods to fit everything (had to shorten the neck to fit under the hood)
DSC01344.JPG
DSC01345.JPG
DSC01346.JPG
DSC01347.JPG
DSC01348.JPG

Sanden compressor with Bouchillon brackets works exactly the same as the factory compressor and brackets, except that it takes up less room for the compressor. I'll try to get some pics later.

The brackets I', going to use aren't from Bouchillon. Although, they might be the same. I've not compared. I'll go look now and see.

Here are the pulleys on my 440. I didn't get the alternator in (it's 104 out there right now at 2pm). Still working on air cleaner mods to fit everything (had to shorten the neck to fit under the hood)View attachment 1715591047 View attachment 1715591048 View attachment 1715591049 View attachment 1715591050 View attachment 1715591051

Thanks Jim. I am assuming that the compressor then does drive the alternator since it's in the same spot as the factory unit.

Yeah I see it on their web site not. That might be a better option. It's about the same price as what I was looking at. Thanks.

Oh well, both kits say they will not work with aluminum water pump housings. So I am back to square one I guess. lol

They have several different kits. I think I'll just call them Tuesday and see which one will work best. Thanks Jim. I had actually forgotten that Bouchillon had all that stuff.

Bouchillon has one for the early housing which the aluminum is based on (I think). The only real difference is the location of the bolt near the thermostat. Even if they don't have exactly the one that fits a new hole can be drilled.

Yup, two choices from Bouchillon:

Without AC pulleys and WITHOUT power steering:

BPE A/C Compressor Mounting Bracket Kit Big Block - Bouchillon Performance Engineering

With AC pulleys and early housing or most aluminum"

BPE A/C Compressor Mounting Bracket Kit Big Block - Bouchillon Performance Engineering

Bouchillon has one for the early housing which the aluminum is based on (I think). The only real difference is the location of the bolt near the thermostat. Even if they don't have exactly the one that fits a new hole can be drilled.

Yup, two choices from Bouchillon:

Without AC pulleys and WITHOUT power steering:

With AC pulleys and early housing or most aluminum"

I thought mine was based on the later housing.....since it has the passenger side inlet, but heck if I know. I'll find out. lol

The water pump pulley I used for no air conditioning and no power steering was pretty deep, and it cleared the stock replacement Water pump and the Mopar aluminum water pump and housing I switched to later on.
This poor picture is all I have right now.
F8D7C052-E1DB-4613-A764-7A2D70B1FEFE.jpeg

The water pump pulley I used for no air conditioning and no power steering was pretty deep, and it cleared the stock replacement Water pump and the Mopar aluminum water pump and housing I switched to later on.
This poor picture is all I have right now.
View attachment 1715591229

That's the pulley I am looking for.

Not sure all years that pulley was used. Mine came off of a car older than 1967, but I don’t recall for sure what it was. Something like a early 60s C-body car.

Hey Jim. So does the double grooves on the crank pulley go to the double grooves on the AC. Then alternator ,water pump, crank pulley are on the most forward grooves. Seems like the earlier non AC cars example 68 GTX had the belts closer to engine deeper water pump pulley shallower crank. Like bobzillas.

Like this Rob? These Top pulleys are different diameters from 6 1/4 to 7 inches. Depth is 2 1/2-3.0 inches being measured with the pulley flat on the bench up/down thru the center hole. Kim

76A4CED4-1D0F-41E9-BF29-792B3B686E8E.jpeg

7EA2A571-F1BB-480A-8610-D432C8FCA231.jpeg

C6714C4E-12A7-489C-B8F2-5F959515F501.jpeg

A43A6164-80B7-4ECB-9CC2-329F85C3931F.jpeg

A9EEA2D4-14A4-4279-8502-6F929E75889C.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey Jim. So does the double grooves on the crank pulley go to the double grooves on the AC. Then alternator ,water pump, crank pulley are on the most forward grooves. Seems like the earlier non AC cars example 68 GTX had the belts closer to engine deeper water pump pulley shallower crank. Like bobzillas.

Yes, the two rearward most grooves are for the alternator and AC compressor. Third one out is for the power steering with the last one for the WP.

Non-AC cars used the rear groove for the WP and alternator. Second groove for power steering.

-
Back