Pulley's and belts

-

BobbyY

Old Mopar guy
Reaction score
Is there a primer/sticky somewhere on pulley sizes and maybe conversation to serpentine belt's. My current configuration is; single belt driving water pump and alternator. I am getting ready to add rack and pinion power steering (Saginaw pump) and before the build is finished air conditioning. I know I can't run everything on one belt. The crank and alternator have dual pulley's, I will need to buy a pulley for the pump. Also have given some thought to going to a serpentine belt. I've done a lot of reading but don't seem to find a lot on it. Maybe I just don't know how to filter my results.

Thanks,
Bobby

You didn't tell us what engine you have and year. There were many combinations of accessories and pulleys, even in the same year, and sketchy info. My 65 SB isn't close to factory, but my belt layout works. I looked at many photos here and rigged up something. As I recall, my alt is alone (inner) and the water pump & p.s. share a belt (outer crank groove). I haven't figured how I will run an AC compressor yet.

I have a crank pulley from a later SB w/ 4 grooves, so seems that could support almost anything. I recall from an 80's car, so probably smog pump, etc. Cheapest way to serpentine is take the whole setup off a Magnum SB engine, but there are vendors who will take $$$ for a shiny setup. Personally, I think serpentine is less reliable. Many cars have trouble with them throwing a belt in the rain, or a non-critical component like p.s. pump disables the vehicle on the road (happened to me).

Bill,
Thanks, for some reason I thought I had put my car details down in the signature line but guess not. I have tried it again, we'll see if it took.

67 Dart 360 ci 727 transmission.

without the A/C, it'd be identical to the one on my '74 D100. If you'd like, I will get you the measurement of the saginaw pump pulley and the belt part # Im using so you can run a saginaw pump for now. I dunno where you want your A/C compressor to be, but I have a water pump puller for top mount A/C if you use a dual groove alternator. But if you want, I have a 3 groove crank pulley that will definitely come in handy for when you go A/C

-
Back