Pulling Axle Shafts. Do I Have To Drain Gear Oil?

-

scatpackbee

Reaction score
I'm pulling the axle shafts out of my 8 3/4 rear end to change the axle bearings and I can't remember if I have to drain the gear oil before I pull the shafts out.

And hope you don't loose the thrust button in the gear lube.

Actually, a "reasonably level" car will probably dump some gear oil out. What "I" do if I don't want to drain the housing is, jack one side up at the time, but jack it up really high so the gear oil will not run out. Do that side, reassemble, then do the other side. You won't spill a drop.

So I pulled the axle shafts out last night, and like you all said, no oil leaked out.

I did notice what appears to be the thrust plug still in the center of the carrier (489 case, 2.76 gear, open diff). Should I be able to see through the carrier if there's no thrust plug installed?

Does this plug have to be removed if using the green bearings?

I'm removing a pair of the Mopar Performance green bearings that failed after 18 years. I'm now installing the Dr.Diff new style green MO-400 bearings.

I do vaguely remember there being some preload on one side retaining plate, and there was some force required to make the plate seat when I last installed the axle shafts with the green bearings.

If the plug has to come out, what's the best way without having the plug drop in the housing?

So I pulled the axle shafts out last night, and like you all said, no oil leaked out.

I did notice what appears to be the thrust plug still in the center of the carrier (489 case, 2.76 gear, open diff). Should I be able to see through the carrier if there's no thrust plug installed?

Does this plug have to be removed if using the green bearings?

I'm removing a pair of the Mopar Performance green bearings that failed after 18 years. I'm now installing the Dr.Diff new style green MO-400 bearings.

I do vaguely remember there being some preload on one side retaining plate, and there was some force required to make the plate seat when I last installed the axle shafts with the green bearings.

If the plug has to come out, what's the best way without having the plug drop in the housing?

with the new style green bearings you do not need to remove the thrust button .

-
Back