Pulling from van tips ?

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
I am going to pull a 360 out of the 91 van and the 46RH. I plan on taking the front end off and I wanted to know if I could pull the Trany and engine as a whole ?
I will pull the intake heads and manifold off first as well as all the front end components.
Any tips ?

you can remove 1/2 the motor and take it out the front, or you can shimmy shake it out the passenger door pretty much complete. to note: you will need to remove the passenger seat.

i don't think the trans will come with in either scenario

I have the engine and trany out .
I removed the grill , bumber and radiator support . Then I pulled the intake and heads .
The engine and trany came out together easy as pie !
Took a long time to get all the accessories off so I could remove the intake .

On my 76 dodge van I dropped the transmission and removed one seat and took it out the door. (360). I loaned my bolt on carb plate and a guy change my Dads 440 in his class C motorhome the same way. He bought one of those plates the next day.

On my 76 dodge van I dropped the transmission and removed one seat and took it out the door. (360). I loaned my bolt on carb plate and a guy change my Dads 440 in his class C motorhome the same way. He bought one of those plates the next day.
I’ve heard of that but seems like it would be harder to do? Besides this van was in a boneyard with little room between the next truck . And I wanted to pull both engine and transmission out as one. They don’t allow jacks to be used so it was the simplest option.

Sawall is your friend
I had one but didn’t need to use it.
Interesting thing is that this 1990 TBI has an electric fuel pump and no mechanical one but still uses a timing chain cover with a mechanical pump opening that has a block off plate. Im hoping it also has a cam with an eccentric snout .

Was the 46RH a lockup or non-lockup? I can't remember when they stopped doing the non-lockups.
Lock up .
Torque converter looked brand new! Hard to believe it stayed so clean over 180k while the engine was caked with sludge on the outside.

And the flex plate had a service note from 2008 ! The van was last registered in 2015.

image.jpg

-
Back