pulling motor and trans

-

modracerx

Reaction score
have a 74 duster ....first mopar for me ....some have said you do not need to pull the hood to take out the motor ? is this a fact or only if you taking it from the bottom with the k-frame ...also .....what's easier when coming out thu the top......take both motor and trans at once? or separate ...have a undercar scissors trans jack....front of motor is stripped to balancer...manifolds and starter off...have carb plate from race car days to pull from or will i need one of those balance bars ? .... trying to set it up so i know what i am doing for the re-install when the motor and the engine bay is all detailed ....and also adding stainless headers and mini-starter to the mix on the re-install.......thanks for any help in advance ...

Attachments

• 100_0690.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 272
  • 100_0669.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 272
  • 100_0694.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 266
  • 100_0562.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 255
  • 100_0626.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 271
  • 100_0598.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 265
  • 100_0603.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 275
  • 100_0610.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 272
  • 100_0666.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 267
I pulled the slant 6 out of my duster with both together and the hood on. I did put the back end up on ramps to get it higher but it all cleared

done this many times when engine bay is detailed. Take the hood off, pull the tranny, use the carb plate and it will come right up, no problem. I have done it with engine and tranny hooked and it always seem to be a little more difficult. It can be done but the key is if the engine bay is painted and detailed, you do not want to screw it up. then you have more work to do.

yeah my engine bay was a mess so it didn't matter but I did it with out scratching or banging it up.

I pulled the radiator and pulled engine and trans together, no problem's at all, even in a 66 small early A Body slant six.

thanks for the help ...since i was by myself i left the hood on...went for it and pulled the motor and trans together ... ...was not a problem at all ...used the engine carb plate in the middle hole ...pulled the trans crossmember out.....put the floor jack under the tailshaft on the 904 to let it roll till the engine hoist kicked in....came out so easy it wasn't funny !!!! ...the key is to strip the lower pulley off the crank gives you room to spare ...like i said even with the hood on !!!!...getting to love these mopars !!!!

Attachments

• 100_0701.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 232
  • 100_0729.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 230
  • 100_0730.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 257
  • 100_0733.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 237
  • 100_0728.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 259
  • 100_0721.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 232
that's slick ....looks like it slid out just like mine ..the motor your pulling look's like the one i will be putting back ...same color combo ..intake ...chrome cover's ...lol.....is that areal superbird i see in the background ?

now on the re-install i will have to deal with the new stainless header's ....i have a mini-starter for deal also ....any though's on the easy way to put it all back in ....getting out was a piece of cake ...back in has to be harder....lol

that's slick ....looks like it slid out just like mine ..the motor your pulling look's like the one i will be putting back ...same color combo ..intake ...chrome cover's ...lol.....is that areal superbird i see in the background ?

Yes. That's my dad's Superbird that he bought from the original owner back in '81. It has 21,748 original miles as it sits.

View attachment Superbird B1.jpg

View attachment Sprbrd 031314 Eng lt A01.jpg

View attachment Sprbrd 031314 Speedo A04 B.jpg

now on the re-install i will have to deal with the new stainless header's ....i have a mini-starter for deal also ....any though's on the easy way to put it all back in ....getting out was a piece of cake ...back in has to be harder....lol

Do you have to drop the center link to get them in or not? (they go through the steering linkage)

I find it easiest to place the headers in the engine compartment loose and tie them up to the side to keep them out of the way as you drop the engine in.

Then you have to play with the starter and headers to get the starter in. Sometimes it's easier to get the starter in place first, then wiggle the headers onto the heads and secure both. (Can be a Pain In The *** - PITA). Sometimes it's difficult to get the starter wires in when it's in place, so you may want to install the wires before you secure the starter in place.

Guy I went to school with had the exact car 440 6 pac Superbird , same paint and interior . Did you buy it in New Jersey ?

No, this car has been in Chicago it's whole life. Garage kept....

Pulled my engine yesterday with hood on. Not a problem. Modracerx is correct, strip front of engine first and it will slip straight out.

-
Back