Pulling my hair out

-
Looks like it's getting to be fix by replacement...I would be very fustrated by now along with a headache. Could you perhaps find another carb and try a swap to see how it go's? Just hands on troubleshooting seems not to be working well for ya at this time.

if i rember right there is a little ball in the acc. pump that gets lost when you rebuilt that carter that keeps the fuel in the acc. pump chamber when you step on it if it is left out not all the gas goes to where is should go and you get the bog you are getting

I agree with Oldvart. The Carter AFB is one of the most trouble free carbs ever built. It's just like anything. When it don't work right and you don't know how to fix it they can be a real headache. Don't ditch it just cause of that. The next one maybe just as bad, Or worse.

340Demon had a good point about the little check ball. It's so small it can be overlooked and left out easily. To find out if the accellerator pump circuit is working properly all you need to do is take off the air cleaner and look down the throat of the carb. (with the engine shut off) and pump the accellerator and you should see a double stream of fuel spray from the front center of the carb. If you don't see this happening this is where your problem lies cause if the accellerator pump circuit isn't working it will stumble and stall just like you've described. LOL

fishy68 said:
I agree with Oldvart. The Carter AFB is one of the most trouble free carbs ever built. It's just like anything. When it don't work right and you don't know how to fix it they can be a real headache. Don't ditch it just cause of that. The next one maybe just as bad, Or worse.

340Demon had a good point about the little check ball. It's so small it can be overlooked and left out easily. To find out if the accellerator pump circuit is working properly all you need to do is take off the air cleaner and look down the throat of the carb. (with the engine shut off) and pump the accellerator and you should see a double stream of fuel spray from the front center of the carb. If you don't see this happening this is where your problem lies cause if the accellerator pump circuit isn't working it will stumble and stall just like you've described. LOL

You gotta be effin kidding me. Ok, I'll check that out.

I had a very similar sounding problem with my 340. To make a long story short, I knew that the car wasn't preforming right.....seemed to be holding back, stalling out, sputtering, etc (you get the picture). Ended up that my linkage from the transmission was to short (because of the highrise intake) and this caused the throttle to be open prematurely........thus poorly running engine. I added about a 3" section to the passing gear rod at the carb & about the same amount from the tranny up to the passing gear pivot. This made the throttle plates come to their proper place and NOW, the fine tuning of the carb made all the difference in the world in it's running!! :thumbup:
Don't know if this is your situation or not, but a quick look down the throat of the carb should tell you if the plates are open too much or not.
Hope this helps.
Greg............mtn_jake

-
Back