Pulling oil pan with engine in car

-

MOBodyman

Reaction score
How hard is it to pull the pan on a 318 in a '68 dart? Can it be done without pulling the engine?
Details please.
Thanks,
Dallas

The biggest hurdle is the steering linkage. If you get the center link out of the way then it is almost a drop out situation. You may have to unbolt motor mouts to raise the engine slightly. I have done it on a 63 dart with a 318. I don't believe I had to raise the engine but not 100% sure.

I did it on my 340 in a 67 Dart

remove center link and I had to unbolt my hooker headers. It has been 5 years and I think i raised the engine a little, but not 100% sure, but yes it can be done

Sounds like it isn't too bad of a job, then. I was wondering whether to tackle it myself or hire it done.
Thanks for the replies,
Dallas

Jack up vehicle 1 foot off grd , and install jack stands under front side rails .

1. Drain coolant and engine oil .
2. remove fan shroud bolts but you can leave fan shroud in place .
3. drop complete steering linkage at outer tie rod ends , pitman arm at steering box and idler arm bolt > locate pitman arm puller .
4. loosen motor mounts .
5. disconnect exh manifolds at flanges NOT sure with youre type of headers if equipped .
6. lift motor using original oil pan bottom ( use piece of wood across pan bottom and jack to prevent pan denting ) .
7. once motor lifted until motor mount studs clear k frame , wedge pieces of wood between mounts and k frame so you can remove jack .
8. remove starter , disconnect trans lines from radiator if auto .
9.remove standard/auto trans inspection cover.
10 . remove pan bolts and pan .

I may have missed a step , your vehicle may need extra steps.
I just did it 3 months ago ... but installed 8 qt pan.

NOTE: Always have a cell phone in your pocket when performing work in the garage, specifically underside ...

-
Back