Pump on 727 lost one of it's "ears".

-

a70duster

Reaction score
Hi, I'm throwing this out to the group. I'm assuming that this is a rare occurrence. This is from a 727 transmission that is in a 1/4 miler. The car has been down the track around 100 times since the previous inspection. The ear that broke off was polished into a diamond shaped so it's been broken off for some time.

The transmission ran fine.

20230613_103108.jpg

Whats the convertor snout look like??

When you get another pump gear, I'd slide it on the snout just to see if it goes easily.

Also, really surprised to hear "polished into a diamond shape" I'm thinking it already looked like that??

Last edited:
That is the first time I have ever seen that happen. Had to be a flaw in the pump ear. You think they both would take the same stress. But one couldn't handle the torque.

It was possibly damaged before it went together or from taking it apart last time.

The converter hub and the notches to drive the pump gear look fine. This pump has been working for 15 years of some street but mostly 1/4 mile runs (about 500). When I seat the converter into the transmission I do try to install with some love.

get 1 from john cope or a&a with the wider ears. that is all we put in our trans cause it costs too much to change the converter to the flat sided gears.

Hi, I'm throwing this out to the group. I'm assuming that this is a rare occurrence. This is from a 727 transmission that is in a 1/4 miler. The car has been down the track around 100 times since the previous inspection. The ear that broke off was polished into a diamond shaped so it's been broken off for some time.

The transmission ran fine.

View attachment 1716106151
Fairly common on drag cars. Breaks in the lights when you let off the gas. Buy A&A or cope gears with the oversized lugs. That’s why they make them.

Been there…. Found those neutrals. Went with the pump gear from TCS.

-
Back