purple cam p4452782

-

joshua dewitt

Reaction score
hey guys, any one ran the old mopar performance p4452782 factory muscle car reporduction camshaft and lifter pkg. 268-276-44degrees. vavle lift .429"/.444" on a center line of 114degrees. says idle to 5000rpm... it's new in the box....
i have a 318 going to run a .30 over with zero deck pistions. run the factory 318 head until i get better one.. possible 302's? have headers dual plane air gap intake , and an A998 lock up off a toggle forr hwy only. and plan to eventually run 3.23-3.55 gears... is this going to run good for the street? with p/s , p/b and a/c... and what kind of an idle would it have? thoughts.... never delt with the factory purple 340 cam before.... any links to a sound bit on the idle quallity? with headers and full perf. pipes with some sort of coffee can mufflers should sound intimadating at a light? or should i look into a voodoo cam. used them in chevys before...

Pretty sure we've discussed this in another thread within the last 24 hours...

The cam idle quality won't be much more than burbly because of the lobe separation. Voodoo cams will have a tighter LSA and create a little lope...if I recall correctly you were asking us about that yesterday.

How many different answers do you want?

Josh,

What exactly are you wanting as an answer? That 340 cam will work great with all the conditions you mentioned, with exception to the fact that it won't lope like you apparently want it to. It'll have a small burble in the exhaust, but don't expect anything else. Advancing the cam won't make it lope either...all that will do is alter the power band and idle vacuum...

A 268/276 Voodoo cam would probably work well on the street with that combo, but (a) you'd have to upgrade your springs, and (b) if you already have the 340 cam, use it-it'll serve you well with your car...if you just gotta have the lope, get the Voodoo cam, or the COMP 340 spec cam (268AH-10)...it's basically a 340 cam with newer lobe profiles, a little more lift, and a tighter LSA, so it would probably lope a little, and make the midrange a little snappier.

Pull a plug wire,screw and seat one idle mixture screw??????
What idle do you want? Pro stock,or street /strip thumpety? Hers a curveball. Call Comp cams. Ask for a custom grind. 268 High Energy lobe intake,280 Magnum exhaust lobe. Works to 268/280 duration. 218/230 at .050 . Should work out to roughly ,.460/.480 lift. Lobe centers 110 .The longer exhaust duration cracks.(done the grind on Chevies). The exhaust lobe CRACKS. You have the compression.Would like a 2500/2800 stall converter.Throw a set of REAL replacement 340 springs on it.Best compromise ,I can think of.

In my experience advancing a cam will smooth idle if anything .but I don't know if I would advance that cam.

look, not tryinhg to be a dick or anything, just i have built amany chevys and a few fords in my time. never a older mopar from the gorund up. 1st time. and tring to get the best of all options. if it was a maner of money, i would thow a big block in it. but what i have works. want thank old 70's muscle car sound but with street abilty that aint going to ill the bottm end. if i had known that the lobe seperation og this cam was 114 thought it was either 110-or 112 miss read wrong line in the mopar guid ebook i would have looked for the other... i know is a good cam. just doint want to take all apart a second time guys. just trying to get what i'm looking for the 1st time... thanks....

No problem ,guy. Knowing cams,helps. What was your best Chevy grind?.

What's wrong with a 114 LSA? Do your chebbie friends say it sucks? I got news. That's a good sign. I've already told you once, that that opreating range on your cam is a mis print. It's idle to 5800. Here, READ.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DCC-4452782/

Yet you start a whole nuther thread as if people giving you advice are just talkin in the wind. That's a DAMN good cam for what you want. Build it and you'll love it. Or you can keep driving your fool self crazy deciding and never get anything done.

look, not tryinhg to be a dick or anything, just i have built amany chevys and a few fords in my time. never a older mopar from the gorund up. 1st time. and tring to get the best of all options. if it was a maner of money, i would thow a big block in it. but what i have works. want thank old 70's muscle car sound but with street abilty that aint going to ill the bottm end. if i had known that the lobe seperation og this cam was 114 thought it was either 110-or 112 miss read wrong line in the mopar guid ebook i would have looked for the other... i know is a good cam. just doint want to take all apart a second time guys. just trying to get what i'm looking for the 1st time... thanks....

Nobody here thinks you're being a dick josh, the issue was hit on by rusty...just seems like your trolling for an answer you WANT to hear, as opposed to the reality.

Bomber had a good idea though-having COMP custom grind you a cam with split duration. I've built Ford small blocks for over 15 years now, and I had good fortune with a 270H Magnum in a 302 before...probably should've gone with a 280 instead :). I've also had my hands in a few 350s and 383 Chevys...some that went 10s NA...so, I've seen a few things that work, and a few that don't. Point there is that bigger isn't always better and especially when you're talking cams...you're contemplating using a dual purpose gear ratio and mild stall...too much cam will likely result in poor acceleration out of the hole, and from the sounds of it, that's now what you're looking for.

In any case, if you want the lope, you'll need something with a 110 or tighter LSA...and I still think that 340 cam would still serve you well in a 318 with mild upgrades, or as mentioned, a mild Voodoo cam or even that "new" COMP 340 grind...my brother is thinking about using that one since its off the shelf...

Yup. Bomber's idea is a really good one. Probably would have the best outcome. BUT a custom grind is more expensive, just so you know. I think the last I spoke with Comp their price was 250 for a custom grind. That's just the cam, no lifters. Certainly though, a well thought out custom would probably be best. If it's in your budget, we can throw some ideas at you......the one Bomber suggested just might be it though. It's a dang goodun. But for off the shelf for what you're doin, you'll be hard pressed to beat the 340 cam. I mean think about it for a minute. Think of history. Were the 340s slow? duhhhhh lol

was thinking about picking up one of these purple cams for my 360, but by the looks of it the voodoo LUN-10200703 is the way to go.

That MP cam might turn 6K, they sure don't make power to that point in a 340 or 360.

It will be flat at best from 5200-5300

It's a very mild camshaft. The melling/speed pro 214/224 .443/.465 cam would be better.

If you want a cam cut on something other than a shelf deal, talk to someone like Brian at IMM who is a Comp dealer. Bullet is another good place. Lots of times there isn't going to be a big difference in shelf stuff from one brand to another.

-
Back