Purple Horny Mufflers

-

71duster06

Reaction score
Hey anyone still use these mufflers. I have heard them on some 440 cars and they sound awsome. Didnt know what people think of them on small blocks. Sound clips are welcome!!!!

They are just another brand of glass paks. When they first arrived on the scene it was the header flange on one end that allowed them to be bolted directly to the headers that made them unique.

They are just another brand of glass paks. When they first arrived on the scene it was the header flange on one end that allowed them to be bolted directly to the headers that made them unique.

yep, basiccly a glasspack with a turndown that you bolt straight up to your headers. Ive got them on my 360 duster.......if loud is what you want then loud is what you get. its loud when it idles, its loud when its up to speed, its loud when you put a load on the engine.....:). Its the kinda loud that you cant hear your cd player because the exhaust....i love it. Sorry i dont have a sound clip. some people think its annoyingly loud because i cant have a conversation in my car thanks to the exhaust, but thats how i like it

I had a set on a 1970 Torino Cobra. Very loud to say the least. On the Torino I could rotate the mufflers to point down to the ground or out to the side of the car. Facing down they were quieter. I always wanted to put a flame thrower kit in them but never did.

Whip

do you guys have any sound clips? loud is good, but is it a deep loud or a tinny raspy loud? or does it just sound pretty close to open exhaust?

Is it the type of loud that will keep cops on the look out for you? A sound clip would be super helpful on this one. Are these mufflers still produced and available?

wow they sound pretty quiet in that clip....im looking for louder lol

I had a set on my 69 dart gts 340 back when I was a teenager. I loved them but so did the cops. They always knew where I had been. Besides the always ratteled up against the cross member. Really annoying.

did they have that raspy, tinny sound always associated with glasspacks?

did they have that raspy, tinny sound always associated with glasspacks?

...only if you had a whimpy cam and low compression. If you had a decent cam and decent compression, the Purple Hornies were more like a sound deadener that just knocked a few decibels off what would otherwise sound like open headers.

The cops in my hometown when I was a kid hated them!!! We regularly got noise tickets for running them on the street, but when you're running a 440 with 11.5 compression and a big Melling cam, or a hot 351 Cleveland like another one of my friends had, these header muffs will be LOUD!

No, lower pitched than open headers. Basicly the closest thing you could get to open heads other than exhaust cutouts. By no means high pitched or raspy, btw a sound clip will never do them justice

wow, if they are loud and sound like open headers, why does everyone go an spend so much on other brands like flowmaster and dynomax, etc.....i think these are something im definatly going to check out...im assuming you are running these mufflers?

oh wait you do have em on your car as you said in your previous post...oops...i have tried looking for soundclips, and honestly they sound like **** in clips, but i mean from what some of you are saying, they seem like quite the hot ticket for loudness

oh wait you do have em on your car as you said in your previous post...oops...i have tried looking for soundclips, and honestly they sound like **** in clips, but i mean from what some of you are saying, they seem like quite the hot ticket for loudness

exaclty, like i said i before if you want loud then youll get it, and hey you wont break the bank with them either. I drilled holes in my floorboard for the hangers and no problems with them.

and personally i think sounds clips never do any justice no matter what the exhaust system

cool...i think its something i may be considering for my scamp now....for me, loud is good....if you cant drive fast on the street, then you gotta be loud driving slow lol

My poor deceased buddy who passed a couple years ago had header mufflers on his 440 six barrel, 4 speed AAR clone and when he drove into the car shows everone looked. It wasn't so loud as to cause the police to stop you. if you drive sensibly but it sure sounded GOOD!!!!!!! I think they were cherry bomb brand header mufflers. Walt:burnout:

wow, if they are loud and sound like open headers, why does everyone go an spend so much on other brands like flowmaster and dynomax, etc.....i think these are something im definatly going to check out...im assuming you are running these mufflers?

Why? Because everyone doesn't want that annoying drone that will drive you out of the car after an hour.

How come a loud Harley is ok w/ the Po-lease, but a loud car gets you a ticket? (Nothing against Harley's- or the Police.) I can't handle a loud daily driver, but the "Internal Combustion Orchestra" should be heard on a weekend cruiser.

Why? Because everyone doesn't want that annoying drone that will drive you out of the car after an hour.

true...lol...but i mean for the guys out there who dont mind that (and i know there are guys out there like that...im one of them) how come so many choose stuff like flowmaster or dynomax? its just a thought thats all8)

I have had Cherry Bomb header mufflers on my '68 GTX since 1974. No exhaust pipes. They still sound good. I have always wondered whether I would do better with at least an X-pipe in front of the mufflers.

can you hear yourself talk inside the car? lol

-
Back