Push-button Housing Differences

-

BillGrissom

Reaction score
Posting one small "data point" I ran across. I found the (fragile) bulb-holder in the push-button housing of my 64 Valiant had broken loose while restoring the dash. No problem I thought, since I have a spare 904 tranny that came w/ the push-buttons, so I swapped housings.

Today, when re-installing in the dash, I found that the top right mounting hole (when viewing dash) is in the wrong place (too far out). That is the ear on the upper left of photo. The other ears are in the same place (despite appearance in photo from angles). The one on the right is photo is from the spare tranny.

Rather than drill a hole in the dash, I repaired the original housing - super-glued bulb-holder, then wrapped thick thread and epoxy. I was told the tranny was 1964 when bought at a swap meet, but perhaps for a B or C-body, or perhaps earlier. Anyway, be aware of differences if you buy another push-button unit. They sure looked identical to me when I swapped them.

Attachments

• pushbuttons, 64 Valiant on left.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 140
another thing also, lets face it, Mother Mopar would change the little things for the same model form one year to the very next. WHY? perhaps housings for darts , but 63 ans 64??? must have something to do with selling more replacement parts or what?

they didn't make it easy. but you figured out a good solution!!

Kind of. I installed the push-button unit in the car yesterday, but now I just thought that the bulb may not get a good ground thru the epoxy repair. I should have soldered a ground wire to the bulb base when I had it apart. Note I used an LED bulb since this in not a trivial bulb replacement. Notes for the next guy doing this fix.

-
Back